Canandaigua 9/21

Tg8

After 3 trips, I finally caught a decent laker. post-152733-13930333442691_thumb.jpgpost-152733-13930333616743_thumb.jpg

And the little guy is my personal best, billy laker.

The ice was crystal clear in front of onanda. Creepy clear about 4-6" thick. Had quite a scare when the major hiking trail stream at onanda must have had an ice dam higher up. I had my back turned to shore, and heard what sounded like trees crashing. I turned around and that stream came rushing out on to the ice, I grabbed my poles and started running. Had one bite in 4 hours but a good one. Both the billy and the big one took a 3" kalin grub on a 1/4oz ball jig. I threw everything else at them but that's what they took. No other touches.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea the ice was scary. Some areas 4", and crystal clear. I caught them both on soft plastic 3" kalin grub watermelon seed. I tried my butterfly jigs, diamond jigs, other soft plastic shadilicious, green super flukes to no avail.

Tg8 that area can be quite dangerous even without the ice dam problem. I would never go out there alone....that water is very deep even right next to shore. In 2004 I went through the ice at Kershaw (on the way to my spot) in 5 ft of water right up to my chin in 17 degree weather  (luckily I am 6 ft.) by myself and about 6AM and it was all I could do to get out of there and I had sore ribs for a couple months afterward.  If I had been at Onanda in that deep water I would have been "history" as I had a conventional snowmobile suiton and it weighed a ton when I came out....and then there was pulling my stuff out and then the walk back to my vehicle about a half mile away. I've ice fished since I was in grade school and have a good handle on ice conditions etc. but the flowing water under the ice going down the outlet a half mile away must have undercut the ice overnight and there was no way to know that....people were at the exact spot I went through the afternoon before playing frisby with their dog etc. What I am saying is no matter how experienced someone is on the ice it can make no difference to Mother Nature and we are always at her mercy; especially when we press the limits or take chances...

Edited by Sk8man

Yes I know what you mean... it is real spooky walking on the clear stuff. Glad you are OK and had some success out there with the fish. Les

I just returned from checking out Onanda....it is now undoable The creek next to the beach is running full blast and the currents from it are running sideways along the shoreline with moving water visible all along the shore edge. There is some open water visible straight out from the creek mouth and it is washing out the ice from underneath and the bubbler at the dock south of the creek is adding to the problem.  It is definitely unsafe right now.

Edited by Sk8man

Good question.....after Sunday the 10 day forecast is for very cold especially at night so it should be making ice and refreezing but to what extent in thawed areas is anyone's guess. When ice refreezes it is usually not as strong as ice that is first formed either because of air pockets so once again caution is the watchword and with refrozen stuff I think about going only on thicker stuff than the first frozen ice. I'm not a weather scientist so I'm basing this only on my own experience. I'm with you in hoping it gets real good so I can try for the trout.....at Onanda that running creek may do some real (but perhaps undetected by the naked eye) damage too.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

Bicycled down from city of Canandaigua Saturday and found a crowd ice boating so hit Ononda Sunday morning no luck.   Still gotta figure things out about it.  This evening gave it an hour out a little farther jigging white tubes and swirls still nothing. 

Edited by Benson2x

I had three holes 50 ft off shore 100, 150. I had one big bite in the two hours, he hit half way up the water column on a green kinami grub on a straight retrieve, out of the 100ft off shore hole, probably 130ft deep.

I had three holes 50 ft off shore 100, 150. I had one big bite in the two hours, he hit half way up the water column on a green kinami grub on a straight retrieve, out of the 100ft off shore hole, probably 130ft deep.

I'll be trying again. thanks for the info.

I was there from 730-11. Only a few touches, had my three holes chipped. Only a few bites nothing landed. I like that jig/spoon you have.

Makes sense, my only bites came on the bottom,I wish I could stop out, what kind of action do you give that spoon, and what do you call it if you don't mind my askin.

I fished Wednesday and Thursday out of Woodville in 160ft. Wednesday I got about a four lber few other hits. Thursday I lost about a 14lber at the  hole 4 other hits. Big one hit about 20 ft. off the bottom. had a few other hits 20 to 30 off the bottom.I was using green and silver Deadly Dick tip with a small Emerald. 

I didn't fish but I went to Onanda and walked out and talked with the guys out there (from Hammondsport). They were in about 200 ft of water and just a couple dink lakers. It was their first time fishing there and  I suggested a couple places to try in a bit shallower. The ice boat dudes were out there in force but since they have the whole lake to themselves right now they didn't encroach on the guys fishing :)  looks like you may not have missed too much Tg8 :lol: