Pays to check the tips of wire rods periodically

I know most guys use twilli tips for their stranded wire rigs and that apparently the 19 strand Torpedo wire is reputed to be less abrasive to rod tips and guides but in checking over my (7 strand wire) stuff today and re-tying all terminal knots and connections I was a bit surprised when I inspected the ROLLER TIP of my rod (after one season with them). I had figured that I would be OK with less expensive roller tips because the really good saltwater stuff is VERY pricey. I never had any actual problems this season despite a lot of heavy action with them from salmon etc. The attached pic is what I found.....the stainless wheel part of the roller is fine but the damage occurred to the support side pieces which are a softer metal. The rod eyes were fine. I also had a nearly invisible kink in the 30 lb wire a few inches from the tip so it was pretty lucky I checked things out...just a FYI in the way of disaster prevention :lol:

post-145411-0-81705400-1393786135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

You have to be careful with some of the roller tip rods because some have enough of a gap between roller and side of the guide that the 7 strand can actually run off roller and get pinched between roller and guide causing instant (see ya later) to the first fish that smacks it... Seen it done many times.... I've been using twilly tips for years with no problems

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you have that problem just switch to Twillys there only about $7 ... Those Okuma rods you have are awesome and extremely nimble and when a fish hits there awesome to watch... Just really pay attention when placing in the rod holders after your done setting them where you want them and you shouldn't have that problem but a lot remember when all hells breaking loose on those mornings to remember...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run the okuma blue diamond roller rods and have no issues. The issue with roller rods is you need to keep the reel to facing the bow of the boat to keep the wire on the roller not on the guide. This will keep the wire in the rollers and keep the guide from getting scored.

I run the okuma blue diamond roller rods and have no issues. The issue with roller rods is you need to keep the reel to facing the bow of the boat to keep the wire on the roller not on the guide. This will keep the wire in the rollers and keep the guide from getting scored.

Agreed, keep the reel handle down towards the water with the wire resting on the roller not the frame.  Whenever someone from a different boat fishes with me we play roller wars as I go around and turning the wire diver reels down to center the wire in the roller ......just like walking around turning off lights my daughters leave on in the house.

I've been using 7 strand wire for well over thirty five years so I'm somewhat familiar with keeping the reels in the right position but I also fish a lot alone and between controlling the boat and netting fish and boards pulling etc. s**t happens :lol: The interesting thing is on all my other wire and thermocline rods the side rails are hardened so never a problem like this. The really good roller tips are about a hundred bucks or more so I'll stick with this set up for now.  I've had some twillis for years but I'm not crazy about them....rather deal with the rollers. I just wanted to give a "heads up" as far as periodic checking of equipment now that we are (hopefully) heading into the real fishing season :)