Reel for 500' 45# copper setup

Is an Okuma Convector CV-45D or Magda MA-45DX big enough to hold enough power pro backing for a 500' 45# copper setup? I'm thinking about getting a copper rod and I think I want it on a reel with a line counter. It seems like they don't make a reel bigger than a size 45 with a line counter. They make the Convector 55 but it doesn't have a line counter. The Tekota 800 seems like the best reel for a 500' copper setup but it's pretty expensive.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Is an Okuma Convector CV-45D or Magda MA-45DX big enough to hold enough power pro backing for a 500' 45# copper setup? I'm thinking about getting a copper rod and I think I want it on a reel with a line counter. It seems like they don't make a reel bigger than a size 45 with a line counter. They make the Convector 55 but it doesn't have a line counter. The Tekota 800 seems like the best reel for a 500' copper setup but it's pretty expensive.

An Okuma 45 series is too small for 500' of copper (they are a good option for 200-300). An okuma 55 series is even a tough fit for 500' of 45# copper. it can be done but with only about 75-100 of braid backing. (okuma 55 series is good for 250'-450') Anything 500' or more then Okuma Solterra 50 is a better choice.  :yes:

With copper there is no need for a counter. Its designed to be fished with the entire copper segment in the water. If your plan is to fish your copper down the chute at various lengths then you can mark every 50 or 100' (i use spray white paint). Then the length can be duplicated every time. Counters on copper reels can aid in duplication but will not give you and accurate measurement of whats really in the water. 

The tekota is a good reel and comes in an LC like you want. If a line counter is a must the 800 LC would be a good fit but the drags can be a little sticky right out of the box with is kinda crazy talk for the price.

Edited by Team Game Face

You should check  the A-tom-mik website. He has a few prespooled reels for different lenghts of copper.

This is what Tom loads 500 feet of copper onto.He sells them prespooled for $209

Okuma Clarion 553LS 500' 45# copper/backing/leader

Edited by rolmops

A line counter reel won't be accurate with copper because the copper is so much larger than the line the counters are calibrated to count.

The amount of line per spool revolution lessens as the spooled line diameter decreases in size. 500' of mono or braided wire like you would use on a diver have similar diameters so the line counters work, but copper will be way off.

It sounds like you want to use this as a chute rod and only deploy part of the copper at times. If you plan to do this, you can buy copper that is pre-marked. In that way you would deploy it in a similar way as you would lead core line by counting colors on a full core.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A line counter reel won't be accurate with copper because the copper is so much larger than the line the counters are calibrated to count.

The amount of line per spool revolution lessens as the spooled line diameter decreases in size. 500' of mono or braided wire like you would use on a diver have similar diameters so the line counters work, but copper will be way off.

It sounds like you want to use this as a chute rod and only deploy part of the copper at times. If you plan to do this, you can buy copper that is pre-marked. In that way you would deploy it in a similar way as you would lead core line by counting colors on a full core.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks. That is helpful. It confirms what I am now thinking.