Perch bite is starting

Kevin J Legg

Perch seem to be starting to move into the shallower water in prepartion for the spring spawn. Most traditional spots have been late this winter but with longer days and warmer weather things will only improve. I'm planning on checking out Kring's Point, Eel Bay,Chippewa Bay, and Chamount. I caught some at LOTI last week and a friend got some at Chippewa yesterday. I plan on hitting the ice a lot this week. With the thickness of the ice we should have a prolonged spring ice opprotunity as long as the thawing shoreline makes access possible. Be careful near ramps as they are often the first place to break up. I'm sure we will hear of a vehicle going through as the thickness of the ice may give people false confidence. It's always a good idea to check the ice as it can go in a hurry. I was catching them from my boat at this time a couple years ago!

Go get em Kevin....one of my good buds said to me the other day........"Kevin is my idol",,,,,he does it all.... panfish,eyes, bass, pike, crappies, deer and birds....you name it!  He didn't get any argument from me :lol:

Sk8man,

I guess if variety is the spice of life than mine is pretty spicy. I certainly do enjoy the area where I live abd have a great deal to be thankful for.

I fished Chippewa Bay today and got nothing but dinks, Drove my wheeler all over looking for perch but couldn't find them. Kring's Point access is not good due to dredging at the ramp. Can't get out to the end as road is blocked. I guess you could get on with a wheeler or from Goose Bay. May try Loti again in the morning. Need to find a good perch bite.