what shaft size do i need?

It all depends on far off to the side you hang the bracket. It is important to remember that the cavitation plate of the kicker can be higher than the bottom of the transom. That will give you some room to play

On a more serious note, IMHO, the deeper the better. While a 20 will work, how low do you want to hang it (swamp potential) vs how far back (porpoising and cavitating) ... etc

There is no penalty to having a 25" and being able to have some fudge room especially in the 3-5's 

I've run both on my 25' Penn Yan  and the 20" would ventilate a little once in awhile in 3-4 footer's, it still worked but the 25" works better.  The only possible disadvantage to going with 25" shaft would be if it didn't come all the way out of the water when you tilted it up to run on plane with the main motor.  Not a problem with my Yamaha 9.9.

as stated both will work and I have run a 20 and 25 in ..the 25 will give you a little more wave axcess (for lack of better terms) but when the wind is strong enuf for 3 ft plus waves I usually run the main for best control (speed and turning)..and the longer will keep the head further out of the water when it gets bumpy out there..