LOC- Youngstown- Ice?

Planning on docking at Youngstown for the Spring LOC...  still being somewhat new to the Bar, I have heard mixed info about the ice boom and the conditions down river after its removal......   Any information would be greatly appreciated..

thanks!!

There are so many variables out of our control. Rumors that the boom will be pulled soon are circulating. The big easterlies will push some of the lake erie ice out of river mouth but there is alot packed in there still. Depending on wind direction, it could all come down relatively fast or be a longer affair. Either way, I would not be planning on docking in Youngstown until all the ice is gone through. 

The WHI should go off as planned as launching from Wilson will be possible even when they remove the ice boom. Getting to Canadian waters to fish or fishing the Red Can area could involve long runs to get around the ice if it is still coming down the river. Some productive areas of Lake O may not be fishable because of the floating ice and may force fishermen East to Ollcott. 

I dock in Youngstown too, do not put your boat in before the ice flow gets down.  If they start pulling tomorrow, it will be a few days before it is clear.  On the bright side, traveling the upper river, rapids, over the falls, and lower rapids, the ice takes a beating so a lot of it gets busted up and melted down prior to making it to Youngstown.  There is currently about 250 sq. miles of ice on Erie, and that number is decreasing daily.