Kings, kings, and more kings, ungodly. I can't remember a year like this one. The salmon are here and they aren't leaving, at least not yet. I have had 15 to 20 plus bites on salmon alone in the last 3 days of fishing. Friday the first day of L.O.C. we ended up with a beauty just under 24lbs. Well the clients got home late and never registered that night, I was bummed. Same old story, whatever. Had a grand slam Saturday, no monsters but plenty of 2 and 3 yr old kings. Had some salmon hit plugs as big as themselves, maybe wild? Sunday was the same story just some tough conditions to fish with the hurricane winds. The boards have been the best bite with natural and bright bigger sticks. Spoons on the rigs were 8 by 25 and 6 by 50 were good as well. I went as deep as 35ft and poked a few, but by far the inside is smoking. Browns, cohoes, and some lakers are taking up the slack. Good luck.

Edited by brucehookedup

The last spring like this was 2006. I had my boat at the Newport House on the same dock as you Bruce. Kings galore off I-bay all spring. 30 to 50 fow was unreal. Hopefully they stick around like they did that year!

Great work Captain!!! Who wouldve thought the king fishing in rochester is better than the bar??? Although it makes sense with this winter...hope the kings stick around...on april 15 2012, recieved a report from Captain Zucco, that he did nine kings of i bay...went out the next day and hooked 25 kings, amongst browns and lakers and they were gone the next day and never came back that spring...please stick around kings!!! Before 2012, its been a long time since the kings were around like this...

I would still be happy if half of them left.(not really) They are tearing up my brownie tackle, good problem. I wonder how many boats from the W.H.I. will be here Saturday. Now that's a long run. I do remember talking to sam that crazy shark day. Why they leave when conditions stay the same we will never figure out, you would be a hero. You are correct gambler on those I-bay fish. I don't remember if that was a cold ass winter as well. If that what it takes to have a bite like this, bring it.

2006 was a good early start for Kings off the bar as well. We had fish right in the trench hole at the mouth of the Niagara from heavy east winds and a good smelt run during the last week of April. We are still behind two weeks from the cold 2005-06 season. Looks like the river is ice-free from the local news shot this morning.