Memorial Day

Our blessings go out to all those who sacrifices have allowed us to live the lives we choose.

Sometimes it's like a slap of reality in the face when you take the time to consider how good we have it compared to most of the world; it puts our daily problems and complaints into perspective. No small part of that is because of the folks who protect our liberties and defend what it is to be American. We fight among ourselves, but today I hope we all remember that we're in this thing together. It's a scary place out there.

And it's too easy to forget that freedom isn't free. Today, we salute the fallen.

I couldn't agree more with the post given by Gator. My family was a big military family and those that have fallen to WWll and the Korean war and some have lost there life to the Vietnam WAR (not the conflict) like the state of PA. likes to state it on the license plates :mooning:  Also my condolences go out to those families   who lost son's and daughters to the more recent wars fought over abroad. If you see a American Flag today remove your hat and show your appreciation to those that helped make this the greatest country in the world. Every time you get the notion to just jump in your boat and take a person fishing remember these where the folks that made this possible. WE are FREE and that's what all this warfare was for.  :handshake:   Thanks to all, :yes:   and have a wonderful day PAP.

Edited by pap

Yes,Well said and god bless our men and women in uniform both home and overseas. Today like every Memorial Day since 1967 is a rough day for me, I spent the morning with my other brothers at the WNY Vietnam Memorial on Buffalo's water front.Every year we gather to remember those who lost their life in defense of freedom.It is very hard seeing the gold star mothers, family members and brothers in arms grieving, but together we overcome and help each other carry on, we live in the greatest country in the world "USA"!

Every time I see a service person, I try to approach them, shake their hands, and thank them for there service. I wish more people like us would realize what these people give for us to have the lives we have.

My heart and prayers go out to all of them.

All veterans who have served our country honorably deserve our respect and  especially those very special people who have experienced the rigors of combat and its consequences which may have been carried with them into their futures and those who have given their lives in the name of these United States. Those of us who served but were lucky enough to "draw the long straw" and serve in other capacities out of the heat of battle also owe them a special level of respect and a grateful "thank you".  As Gator so eloquently mentioned "Freedom is not free" and we should never lose sight of or forget that. The issues and emotions attached to armed conflicts are many and complex and sometimes people get "caught up in the moment" or have strong opinions about the "right or wrong" of the  conflict itself. Some may seemingly forget that these veterans were formerly "ordinary" citizens who have by their service become the representatives of our country, our system of government, and our beliefs. They have done so- by putting their civilian lives on "hold" while  giving their time, energy and often putting their own lives on the line (or in fact giving their very lives) to further those objectives. Regardless of the specific political views of our citizens those are honorable acts worthy of our deep respect. I salute all of our fallen brothers and sisters from all previous conflicts and those that may arise in our future. The motto of the U.S. Marine Corps says it best in terms of the spirit of all our military personnel past and present:  "Semper Fidelis" (Always Faithful)

Edited by Sk8man