Wow auto pilot works

Chas0218

Ok so I finally got the hydraulic pump installed after I remembered to pack my tubing cutter to cut the power steering lines. Got her installed, set it up, and am super impressed. All I have to do is hit the button and presto it's driving a straight line to whatever I want.

I have been out the past few days in a easy 3 foot chop and 20 mph wins and just sit back and catch fish. So much LESS stress and a lot less arm fatigue. I think I actually enjoyed fishing in the rough weather.

Crazy how awesome this unit is.

My hat goes off to raymarine for a superb unit.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

I'm soo glad it works for you, YOU know why you love it , you did it yourself. And there's. no better feeling (quote&unquote) then doing something you wanted to do for so long, and now you did it,chopped into your own steering and plumbed your own system and the satisfaction of standing Back and watch it work like its supposed to congrats to you I hope you enjoy ever minute of it. Just watch out for me LOL

Edited by pap

Ok so I finally got the hydraulic pump installed after I remembered to pack my tubing cutter to cut the power steering lines. Got her installed, set it up, and am super impressed. All I have to do is hit the button and presto it's driving a straight line to whatever I want.

I have been out the past few days in a easy 3 foot chop and 20 mph wins and just sit back and catch fish. So much LESS stress and a lot less arm fatigue. I think I actually enjoyed fishing in the rough weather.

Crazy how awesome this unit is.

My hat goes off to raymarine for a superb unit.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Which autopilot did u get

I bought the Raymarine EV-100.  Really quite simple to use and install.  The user interface makes it super simple to operate. Here is a photo of it in action. Kept me going straight and on course but the boat was actually quartering the waves and side stepping because the waves were pushing the boat backwards almost

20140526_101957_zpstxnmkjpa.jpg

It uses a brain that is mounted in my cuddy cabin, a hydraulic pump, a electronic compass, and the head unit (pictured above). It uses the compass to find a heading the head unit tells the brain what course you want then the brain tells the pump when and what direction to turn the motor.

There are other units that use a mechanical drive behind the steering wheel to control the boat but I opted for the hydraulic pump and power steering because my steering cable went to crap after 1 season.