Boat shopping

Garyf

My Dad and I are looking to get a bigger fishing boat. One ideal for Lake Ontario, but can also be used for some lakes back in CT. The boat should have 115 or less horsepower, four stroke engine, be no more than 22'ish feet, and have good space for multiple rigger setups. It's gotta be trailer-able, too. Cabinless preferred. Should be on the younger side, maybe like 2010 or later?

Getting a new boat is an option, but those can be really expensive. Might be better off getting one used from someone that keeps it in good condition. What's a good place to start looking for boats?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

When we were looking we used all available resources:

• Internet sources such as Yachtwold, Boattrader, SaltyDog
  • Classifieds on all the forums like LOU, IBoats, The Hull Truth
  • Stopped at every boatyard we passed when making a trip whether for pleasure or business

It took us about 8 months to settle on a short list of boats, talk to owners or brokers, physically look at those we were interested in, do sea trials and surveys and close the deal.  We finally bought a trailerable Sportcraft 252 and haul her to the Chesapeake Bay and Lake O every year.  Once you get the "right" boat you will be glad you did.

Here's a listing of the types of things checked out in a survey:

1 On land: Sea strainers, through-hulls, anodes
2 On land: Outdrives exterior condition, transom assemblies, hydraulics, props, skegs
3 On land: Hull & transom soundings, swim platform, hull-deck joint, gel coat, bottom paint
4 On land: Full camper canvas, snaps, studs, isinglass, zippers, stitching in good condition both deployed and stowed. Boots for storage position.
5 On land: Seating surfaces, cushions, carpets, vinyl, headliner, wall coverings in cockpit and cabin
6 On land: Stanchions, anchor locker, bow pulpit, exterior hatches, windshields, ports, side vent windows, bright work, teak, ladders, companionways, storage lockers, etc.
7 On land: Full engine room & locker inspection: engine mounts, wiring, tanks, hoses, bilge areas, water leaks, scuppers & drainage, etc.
8 Negotiable: Compression test & leak-down testing both engines
9 Sea trial: Battery fluid and voltage levels, mounting & wiring, proper operation of alternator and charger on shore power
10 Sea trial: Gas, waste, & water tanks - mounts, fills, vents, pump out fittings, hoses, clamps
11 Sea trial: Galley microwave (shore power), fridge (dual voltage), sink, and stove (shore power) operation, galley cabinets & surfaces, doors & drawer operation
12 Sea trial: Stereo operation
13 Sea trial: Air conditioning & heat operation, water flow, cold air, noise level, odors
14 Sea trial: Head toilet, sink, shower operation & drainage
15 Sea trial: All cabin panel switches, fuses & wiring, etc. Pull panel to inspect.
16 Sea trial: All 12v cabin, cockpit, navigation \ hull lights, switches, and AC plugs (on shore power). Verify GFCI operation.
17 Sea trial: Electronics operation (depth, radar, compass, spotlight, synch, sniffer, VHF, etc)
18 Sea trial: Blowers (2) & bilge pumps (2)
19 Sea trial: Start up both motors (cold and hot), check gauge operation and readings, check for leaks & noises
20 Sea trial: Acceleration and performance. Check planing speed with\without trim tabs and drive trim.
21 Sea trial: I/O operation, trim & trailer switch operation
22 Sea trial: Steering & throttle operation
23 Sea trial: Top speed & max RPM
24 Sea trial: Hull stability, turning radius, skating\planing\plowing\back down issues?
25 Sea trial: Trim tab operation, fluid level, hoses & fittings

I have a 175 Alumacraft Trophy. I fish Lake O 2-3 times in the summer and CT lakes the rest of

the time. All set up with riggers,dipseys,trees. Works fine, just wish it was a foot or two

bigger. It has a 90hp merc and a 6hp kicker and trailers great. Found it on craigslist ct and

added equipment with the help of a few members from this website. Is it IDEAL for Lake O, not in my opinion but it sure gets the job done. Good luck.

P.S. I had 2 friends that had tracker boats about 15 years ago and had nothing but problems

regarding leaks. I don't know how the newer ones are. I was told to go for Alumacraft,Lund,

Princecraft when I was looking. No problems with the Alumacraft.

Try this;pick two boats you like and subtract the cost of the motor(s),electronics,and any other expensive options. Then see if you can justify why a lund or a ranger tub is twice as much as a tracker or whatever. I'm not endorsing or trashing anything here.

I love larger aluminum boats but just can not justify the money for lund boats, they are beautiful, but the money is unreal, I have owned lots of boats in my life, I still love my old 19.5 ft sea nymph, safe, simple, afforfable. lotd of good boats around, don't get caught up on a name, good luck

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I love larger aluminum boats but just can not justify the money for lund boats, they are beautiful, but the money is unreal, I have owned lots of boats in my life, I still love my old 19.5 ft sea nymph, safe, simple, afforfable. lotd of good boats around, don't get caught up on a name, good luck

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree I love my sea nymph!

I almost bought a 619v ranger this winter. Even had the wife's ok. Had to drive to Pa. to see one. While researching i learned they have paid millions to the ranger cup and given away 108 boats to tournament winners. I am not knocking ranger,they make great boats,but you are paying for all that pr when you buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive fished with a number of captains in the lower niagara. They all have lunds. Im no expert. They are like fishing from a dock. I dont know what makes them so stable. You can have three full size guys on one side of the boat and it doesnt lean. They blow me away every time. I fish off a 43 year old penn yan. If i didnt have kids id have a 22ft lund barron.

I've an 89 Pro Line Sport Fisherman with a salt water transom.  Big heavy boat and extremely stable.  Wide open in the back so lots of room for fishing.  Now that I think I have the shifter thing straightened around it was very stable this a.m.  Seas were kind of a rolling chop, small white caps etc, wind out of the NE and truthfully was very comfortable trolling around.  Just me on the boat and it just doesn't get blown around much if at all.