vro problem

I had my 85 vro die several times yesterday at cruising speed. It would start right back up and go a few hundred yards and quit again, I realized my oil tank was very low, but I think I have an oil alarm. It was just like someone turned the key off, I was able to stay running as long as the bow didn, t come up, I think oil was low enough that when bow came up oil went to back of the tank and caused a cavitation. Does this sound possible or do I need to look elsewhere? I am going to add oil and go test.

Edited by BarringtonTrapper

Just went through this this past week. You need to be careful. You may want to run off a portable tank with pre mixed to verify your vro is working. There's links on how to test the oil side to see if it's working. Don't take it apart on the oil side, there's no replacment parts if it's an evinrude. My issue was the fuel side. @370.00 for a new one I went with a reg diaphragm pump instead and will have to mix in my main tank. Wasn't worth rebuild kit with the unit a 93. My low level alarm was a chirp every 45 sec. Mine didn't shut the engine off. Just be careful. If she isn't getting oil you'll not be happy after testing. There's lots of experts on here that know more than me that I'm sure will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

We have had issues with our 1986 evinrude 70 hp. Yes I said 1986. Runs like a top otherwise. Our alarm will go off even though there is plenty of oil in the reservoir. What is this test of mixing oil in your tank and testing it? Do u mean that if you mix oil in gas and the alarm doesn't go off u then know that the bro system is shot?

Adk, the test I was referring to was 1) on the oil side, you disconnect the oil line and replace with a clear 1ft tube that has markings on it to indicate when it's dropping due to the engine using up the oil. Again you would want to be running mix gas during this. 2) the fuel side test was with a vac guage on the intake side, needed to be avg 4-5 inches and on 5-7psi on the outlet side. I know I flew through these but you get the gest.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Got it. Well, we can see our oil reservoir but it takes awhile for it to seem to go down as it holds a couple of gallons

I went out after filling my oil tank and boat quit twice with straight gas as soon as we hit the water, switched to mix gas for 10 minutes or so then back to straight and it ran fine for an hour till we quit. Went to Ontario on sunday and spent the day on the water with no more issues. I can find nothing about a low oil shut off but I think that was the problem

The early VRO pumps were variable indeed,anywhere between 1:50 to 1:100.This fried a ton of outboards. Only after 1990 when the third generation was introduced it stopped being variable and went back to 1:50.

But it sounds like your problem is not connected to the pump but more to the amount of fuel reaching the carbs at a high rpm. My bet is a pinhole in your fuel line allowing air instead of fuel to get sucked into the carbs. Many marine mechanics will change lines and pump at the same time allowing you to get on the water,but at the same time allowing them to sell you a pump that you may not need.