Transplanting outboard to slightly underrated boat?

MadPerry

Hypothetical question. If I were to take a 125 hp 2 cycle outboard and put it on a 17.5' aluminum boat with a max rating of 120 hp? Boat currently has a 70 hp 2 cycle. Problems I may have? Unsafe? Not enough info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

aside from possibly being unstable and difficult to control.......when the US coastguard or MC sheriff inspect your boat you'll being up S!@T's creek. Insurance will not cover ANY vessel that's over powered. On or off the water.

I don't think it's a wish move....... just my 2 cents

The 5 hp extra is probably not a major problem but all the things Lund SSS said are the real concerns..... I agree not a good move.

.............I do not disagree, but I'd bet it would haul a$$.

Hehe. That was what I was thinking. But I wont do it for the above reasons posted. I never even considered it could be unlawful.

Thanks guys for your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Something to ponder, every outboard manufacture has produced power plants that are miss-marked. My new 2009 Evinrude 150 HO is jetted and tweaked. From the factory the prop HP is 173..... Was going to go with a 200 HO when I re-powered and Bob at Puglesy's said I was F?!king nuts. That block makes 245 !!!!

Would I have been illegal ....no sticker only states 200 , the max for my Lund. I already get 57mph out of my boat :) would have been pushing an easy 65-70...... Damn why did I listen to the voice of reason ????

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It really comes down to liability. Are you willing to accept it?

When my boat was built, Whaler rated it for 600hp. I don't think you could buy 300 hp outboards back then. Anyway, now you could buy and mount a pair of 350s. So I call Boston Whaler and ask them about it and they tell me some branches of the government power the hull with twin 350s, but they wouldn't sell me an updated 700 hp plate even though my hull is still under production through their commercial products division by special order and has the higher rated capacity. Liability is the reason of course, nobody wants to accept it.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been on a few boats that are over powered by 5 horse and honestly it's not a big deal, even at 15 feet. There were also other upgrades such as a hydro fin and an expensive prop that was helping produce more power. The boat was fast and did 65 on lake Michigan and could handle any weather but you could spin that boat in a dime and you would also submarine through waves when we were being stupid but it was honestly worth the investment to over power the boat