electric reels for copper and handicap

Any input on this option would be welcome.I fish with guys who can't reel for very long,myself included.parkinson will stop you

Never hear of anyone talking about this option.

Thanks

john

John,

A few Capts use the Daiwa electrics for their long coppers, 700-800' coppers. If you have the $$$ they are a great addition, but the weight of the reels may prevent you from holding the rod very long. Good Luck.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Capt. Rich,

Im also looking intoa good rod helper,who knows maybe a deep water salt water chair might not others who can't  join in as well as they would like.

Lots of good guys and vets would like to go if their bodies would allow them.

Best'

Retired Captain.John

Edited by john1947

John,

I bought a deck chair from West Marine, and also bought the gimbal for it. Works great for those that can't stand, due to waves or not strong enough with all types of rods. Might be an idea. Then go from there if a harness is needed. Just a thought. They do not take up much room in comparison to a true fighting chair.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In addition to the Daiwa reels, check out http://www.miyaepoch.com.au

I have one of their older smaller reels. It works well to pick up line when you drop the rod tip, and can handle a salmon. I have not tried their mid size reels, which would seem to be appropriate for the various copper rigs we run. I assume the mid size reels would be more durable, powerful, and capable than my small reel.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I remember somebody mentioned (awhile back) running a 200 copper stacked on a rigger 40 ft above the ball.  You can get a high speed Saltist and get the depth (and action) of a long copper with a lot less reeling.  I would imagine the 32 lbs blood run copper must be easier to reel and a little more forgiving on the arms. 

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

On my boat I use a modified deck chair with a rod holder clamped to it. We use two of the Diawa Tanacom Bull reels. It's a costly setup at roughly 700-1000 a reel though They do work great and have a great drag system on them. To me my only dislike with them is there is no "clicker" drag on them so you have to watch careful if you are picking up line or just spinning against the clutch. We use ours on our riggers. They work but most fish are coming off the dipsy or coppers. I may switch one over to copper and see how it performs

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bout time