Otisco 8/8

hermit

Met up with Justin and we spent the afternoon and evening out looking for walleye.  Trolled through a fair amount of weeds in the afternoon, picking up a fat smallmouth.  We also did some cruising around and scouting with the possible intention of jigging later, but this plan got derailed by a bad transducer cable and we were without the sonar for a lot of the night.   Headed back in for a bit before night fishing.

Back out, started with a little jigging, but too hard to know what was up without the sonar.  Headed for a topwater spot and worked that for a while but action was very slow, with only occasional bait on the surface.  Couple more bass.  Time for a change of plan, so we got out the trolling gear and went for a ride!  It was very bright under a full moon, which helped setting and checking gear, and the weeds had been blown out of the area by then, so it was actually a bit easier than the daytime trolling and with no traffic.

Finally picked up a smallish walleye at 2:20 trolling tight to shore and hooked and dropped another 15 minutes later.  Gave it another pass and trolled back in.  Big thanks to Justin for having me along, that was fun.  Feels like fall already with these 50 degree nights!

Went last night with Matt and trolled for a bit without moving a rod. We hit a couple casting spots and no action AT ALL arround us. Got trolling gear back out when the moon was shaded on the west side and really got into a good bite. Ran just 1 rod on an inline and ended up 5-6 in no time all in a short stretch. Tonight im gonna hit it hard now that i have a pattern. Had a great time Alec and thanks for being patient. Ive been really struggling trying to get on pattern this summer...trolling hasnt been good at all. Fish came on a gsr 7 in blue or a berkley flicker shad 7 in blue. Fish we lost was a toad and swam right to us and went nuts at the boat....id have netted it no prib in day

Nice, glad you got back into them, no worries on the slow fishing!  I never expect much when learning a new species and it's no fun if it's too easy!   Sounds like what we ended up doing worked all weekend, so at least I know it works.

Edited by hermit