PSE TACTICAL Crossbow

Friday i got the chance to check out the pse crossbow my buddy got and its absolutely ridiculus! Ill be tuning it this week and ill try to post some video. Before anyone says its too expensive its 1600 bucks! But for anyone who can swing it so far its more accurate at 100 yds than most smoothbore shotguns. I see a few of these at my house in the future. I cant wait for crossbow season!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 months later...

I too have a crossbow - Excalibur - recurve type.  Was lucky enough to get a deer with it this year.  Shot was about 20 yards, complete pass through and the deer went about 5 yards after the shot with the arrow burying about 15 inches, almost up to the fletching, in the ground..  I hunt the deep woods, so getting a 100 yard shot is rare.  Even so, with a crossbow the effective ethical range for me would be about the same as a vertical compund bow - about 40 yards. 50 would be the max I may consider; but everything would need to be perfect, a solid rest, the wind, the deer being still, etc.

Even though someone may be able to hit a target at 100 yards, it doesn't mean it equals a shot that will result in a clean kill. Factor in also the movement of the deer between the time the trigger on an Xbow is pulled and the arrow on its rainbow trajectory gets to the deer.

I do love my crossbow and think that for young, old, physically limited or disabled hunters, it is great that NY finally allows them to be used.

Best of luck to all.

O boy I can see it now. I dont care how accurate it is over 50 yards is far. Way no many variables. Results in many deer not being found due to not getting a clean shot. Im sure some of you guys will shoot that far. Dam there r many people who can't get.a clean shot with a gun at 50yards. Just saying

I hear Ya and totally agree. 40 yards for me is a long shots with a bow of any kind be it vertical or Xbow. I set up my stands so my shots are 30 yards or less. Then again I hunt the deep woods and not the fields. In any event we need to make sure that we take ethical shots whatever we are using.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot the pse. It is extremely heavy. Comes with a bi pod because of the weight. Most of the weight is out front. If your not benching this, good luck with that. 100yds sounds good. But hunt a field with a cross wind and try to hit something.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My bad. I forgot you are the expert. 3000fps and 400fps are two different worlds. 10mph cross wind may push a bullet a little bit at 100yds. But a 500 gr bolt will push alot more. Let's be realistic. A 100yds crossbow shot is not ethical hunting.

First of all I never said Id shoot 100 yds at a deer in the wind and secondly I havent even bought one yet. The 1 I set up isnt setup for shots like that yet. That would take another 1500 bucks and the guy I set it up for wanted 50yds and thats about what he's got. Im not going to debate ethics with someone who has no idea what someone else is capable of. Personally, Im not ready for that shot, but I know a couple guys who have made them. My long range expertise is limited to rifles. I mere was discussing the accuracy of the crossbow in ideal conditions. If you would like to debate long range ethics lets move the talk to longrangehunting.com and Ill be happy to discuss it. If you want to compare 400 fps to 3000fps id suggest changing the rifle range to approx. 800 yards and I think youll find wind makes a diff.

You brought up the gun comparison. You did say it was more accurate at 100yds than a shot gun. Archer and guns are defenetly two different beasts. Yes, I don't know you and same goes other way. But I do know bows, crossbows, long range archery and hunting. Just don't want people launching bolts like rainbows. Lol. I'm not mad at ya.

Smoothbore shotgun to be clear, which is what I grew up on. I doubt you have much to worry about because the average person wouldnt launch a 30-40 dollar arrow at a poke and hope, or spend the 3 grand it would take to set up a long range crossbow. To attempt it on game with the 10 cent scope it comes with you are correct that wouldnt be ethical. You should check out some of Levi Morgans long kills with a compound....well over 100 yards....he's a freak! Im not mad at ya either...

Levi is one of the best in the world. Pros are pros for a reason. They may be one half a percent, of the total hunting population that can make thoughs shots like that. What do you think?