Jump to content

Muskies Inc. Chapter 69 Upper Niagara Tournament, This Sat. Oct. 25th


Recommended Posts

This is an open catch and release tournament. Tournament boundaries are limited to the Upper Niagara River.

Click Here for tournament rules. In addition to rules, those fishing in Canadian waters must adhere to Canadian boating and fishing regulations.

 

Tournament hours are 7 AM til 3:30 PM. Registration will be at the Sheridan launch between 6 AM and 7:15 AM. Entry fee is $25/person.

 

In the event of a small craft advisory, the tournament will be postponed. Notice will be given here if postponed.

 

Prizes will be awarded at the Carol's Fishing Club (CFC) boathouse on Grand Island. I hear there will be chilli and fish fry.

 

Edited by muskiedreams
Link to post
Share on other sites

It always seems to be difficult to hold a tournamet there this time of the year. There is always many days of high winds in the fall. On top of that, when there are heavy SW winds, Lake Erie and the river turn to mud that can take two or three days to clear up.

 

If this Saturday is too windy, we will probably have to postpone it another week. We are reluctant to hold it on Sunday, the 2nd, out of respect to the Niagara Musky Association which will be holding their annual Tim Witek Memorial Tournament that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we may have to postpone again. The forecast is calling for N winds sustained at 14 knots with gusts to 22 at 8AM and 20 from 9AM to 2PM with small craft advisory. I beleive the small craft advisory is issued for winds 20 knots or higher. Will check again this evening and talk to Jim around 5 or 6PM then give a final determination.

 

With winds bucking against the current the waves can get real choppy.

 

rougarou, Nice 45 incher you got with Larry on Wednesday!! :yes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

yea it was a nice fish and larry is a class act a lot of knowledge the night was a surf & turf the 45 musky and an 8 point buck at 2:30 with the truck on I-90 $3500 later priceless

Edited by rougarou
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike, sorry your truck struck the buck on the way home.Steve Saturday was a better day for wind then Sunday where the NMA still had the Tourney, if you cancel every time they say Small Craft Warning there will be no Tourney, the river does not get as bad as the Lake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately, the weather does not look good for this Sat. and:
WE WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE TO POSTPONE IT AGAIN.
 
They have not yet issued a Small Craft Advisory but I think it is iminent. Winds are going to start ramping up early AM and by 10 AM will be out of the S at 16 knots with gusts to 21. As you can see on the chart, much of the day it will be around 20 knots with gusts at 25 to 27. NOT GOOD.
 

 
As you can also see from the chart, Sunday should be OK. The only thing is that with the winds on Sat., the water might be brown with very low visibility. This might make for very low catches, if any.

I was thinking that since Friday night will have more favorable winds and conditions, it might be worth considering holding it as a Nite Bite Tourney on Fri. night. Maybe midnight to 8AM. That will get us off the water just as the wind is starting to ramp up. See charts for Friday's conditions.

Please give me your input. With the likelihood of Saturday postponement, Friday night or Sunday may be our best chances to hold the tourney. Otherwise, we will have to hope for a better chance later in the month.

 

Edited by muskiedreams
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just talked to Jim. We are keeping it on Sat. as scheduled. If the forecast changes to where Sat. will be too rough, we will hold it on Sun. If that happens I will announce it by 6:30pm on Fri. Otherwise plan on Sat. 7am to 3pm. Registration at Sheridan launch 6am til 7:15am.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As of late Friday night there was no small craft advisory but I found out at 4:30 Saturday morning that one was issued overnight.

 

Jim and I still went. When we arrived there was two other fishermen (one boat) waiting. Since we were the only ones and there was a small craft advisory we canceled the tournament. There will not be another date set. This is partially because even from the beginning there was not a lot of interest in it.

 

The other boat went out from Sheridan and we launched at the Isle View launch. The wind was managable and we fished till about 7pm. I got a 34" casting at 10:30am and Jim had a hit that didn't stick about 20 min before that right next to the boat. The lure came flying out of the water and behind my back. Both were on one of Jim's new lure models. I had one get off about 6:30 trolling a Mr. Toothy deep. no other action. There was a lot of hooks and bait above and below the S. Grand Island bridge.

Edited by muskiedreams
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...