FIRST TIME ON ONTARIO

Welcome LastChance from another NWPA angler.

May 2-4 may be a bit early yet for Olcott to be hot. May want to head further west like Wilson or Y-town or work on a brown program.

If you get a chance, PM Tim Bromund from this site. He fishes out of Olcott quite a bit and may be able to give you some on the spot advice.

From the reports on the Canadian side of the big river, it sounds like it may be another spoon bite spring, so load up on plenty spoons. May want to check in w/ Pete Alex @ Alex Roofing and get a good deal on some Dreamweaver products to haul up with you as well. Spoons, flashers, and flies.

We'll be up there, probably Y-town, sometime later in May.

Like Storm said, give Pete Alex a call or give me a call tomorrow only-- 796-6320. Otherwise try my boat phone---716-390-0085. I am running the boat down from Oak Orchard on Thursday to fish the Canadian Scotty tournament this weekend.

I fished Olcott for 13 years before moving to Oak Orchard and can give you some tips on early spring fishing there. Storm is right though---you will definitely want to head west--probably west of Wilson to find any salmon numbers that early in May.

I will be docked in Wilson as of Sunday and will be fishing the weekend you're in Olcott. Stop by the boat at the Wilson Boat Yard and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Paul

Free Spirit

PS.....BEWARE---once you catch a Lake O king you will never want to fish for a walleye or steelhead again. If walleyes weren't good to eat no one would fish for them---except for the yuppie tournament guys....LOL

LastChance, Paul is absolutely right about catching your first king. I live in NW Pa. as well. Little better than an hour to Erie, close to 3 1/2 to Lake Ontario for me. I always head for the salmon and trout of Lake Ontario. I know I miss some phenomenal walleye and perch fishing of Erie, but been doing this now for 30 years and it kind of becomes addictive. So you have now been forewarned :lol:

lastchance ....as everyone here could help you its a little hard for everyone to post a tip for you without it becoming overwhelming....as i always do i recomend www.attheoak.com ther are lots of links there.(totalchoas) has some great general giudelines ,also if you go to fishing report archive ,you can check the dates your going to the lake (may) for the last several years for more help as to what worked previous years for that date timeline,and dont sweat the small stuff like landing the fish,just enjoy the fight ...1.dont thumb the reel,2. dont grab the line,3. clear the back of the boat of rods,4.dont bring in a salmon green,5.raise the fish head out of the water just a little and slip the net way under as to not hook your lure in the net before the fish is in the net... great luck Ray K. PS. none of us has done the above mistakes :$:$ :oops:double PS there is a olcott fishing site there also it ant up and running yet(updates) but it should be by then..

I'll be there the entire month Rich. Last year my trips were concentrated so I didn't see a need to stay but this year they are scattered throughout the month and the week prior to the Niagara will also be very busy with the Sabres event on Thursday and the Olcott/Johannes event on Friday.

Looking forward to it!

See ya there!

Paul