Spring Brown fishing around Sotus Bay

vinny

The hardest decision is going left or right out of the chute! I have better luck with floating stick baits (jr thunder sticks, j9 rapala, rattling rogue) in the shallow water (8-10 fit). Keep an eye on the reports section before you go. If you run some spoons...place a medium sized split shot above the swivel between your main line and a (just under) rods length of 10-12 lbs floro leader. I like fire tiger and black/silver sticks. Nbk, ssw and chicken wing are good spoon colors.

If the conditions are real rough you may have luck right in the bay itself trolling from the channel mouth over to Newark Island and along Eagle Island to Bonnecastle Point and then cut across the middle heading northwest back toward the channel. I've had success in the past in there when I had my smaller Whaler when it was 6 footers out in the lake. The occasional Chinook or Coho may also be in the mix. (as well as large northerns in the shallower areas). Just be careful near the west side of Newark Island if you go in real close because there are old cement dock remnants in there that could mess up your prop.

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Thinking of coming up in April for some browns, how is the water, still have ice? I know it's a tough question, any rough idea on when to come up? Like mid to late April? Would like to make some plans.

Thanks in advance guys,

Vinny