Why run a down rigger

I always run two riggers with a stinger spoon 5-8ft down and 75-100ft back sometimes they are the hot rods, also I add 1-2 small split shots 5ft from the spoon to keep them from rideing up to the surface.

Normally I don't run the riggers when I'm in that tight, but I always have two corner " weight" rods running along side of the prop wash. The biggest fish of the day always come off these rods. Normal set is two flat lines 100-125 back with 1/4 oz split shot both sides ( big boards) the the two "weight" rods with 1/2-3/4 oz inlines. 40-50 ft. Back. I use SOG to set the speed, no need to run the prob due to the lack of changing currents.

Might be stupid for me to ask this but why would you run a rigger in the spring for browns if there only in 5 to 15 ft of water? Why not just boards and long lines.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Because those lines catch fish.  Being on a rigger under the surface allows you to bring fish in and reset lines right over them without tangles.  In the spring the first couple weeks of the season fish are stupid as they haven't seen a lure in awhile and they are HUNGRY so don't worry about total stealth. Drop a spoon back 50'-100' and down 3'-4' on the rigger in say 8' of water and its game on.