Does anyone use Shimano Talora Rods with Daiwa linecounter reels

There was a problem with the OLDER Shimano downrigger reel seats not fitting the Daiwa line counter reels snugly.  The reel would still rock back & forth when fully tightened.

Anyone with Shimano Talora rods still have that problem with the Daiwa line counter reels?

Edited by Patriot

The problem you described is not a problem with Daiwa reels. The problem is Shimano using a cheap reel seat instead of a good reel seat and then doing a mediocre job of installing the cheap seat. 

Reel feet are pretty well standardized across the industry among similar sized frames. 

A quality reel seat, like the Fuji DPSSD20 graphite seat or TDPSSD20 trigger seat, holds Daiwa (and other brand reels) just fine.

Edited by John E Powell

If the rods are new wind them down tight they will seat. The plastic like material inside the ring will conform to the foot on the reel. If the rods are well used you may have to shim the reel foot with a turn or two of tape . The Shimano Talora seats are tough and not junk They carry a 600 copper reel no problem and that's heavy.

Edited by bigblue

"If the rods are new wind them down tight they will seat. The plastic like material inside the ring will conform to the foot on the reel."

A good reel seat fits the reel's foot snugly without deforming. If you have to tighten it so much that it "conforms" to the foot just to hold the reel tightly, it's junk.

"If the rods are well used you may have to shim the reel foot with a turn or two of tape ."

There's no need to do this with a good seat. However, I can see why one would need to do this if a junky seat was damaged by over tightening.

"The Shimano Talora seats are tough and not junk"

We can agree to disagree. To me, a good seat will hold a reel just as snugly after 20-30 years as when it was new. That's how long some of my rods have been in service on my boat.

"They carry a 600 copper reel no problem and that's heavy."

Until you need to wrap the reel feet with tape...

Edited by John E Powell

Patriot as per your edited post, you might just want to try your reel on one of these to see if you're happy with the fit instead of relying on the subjective differing opinions of others. I don't think you'll get any consensus on this. Ask around and see if you can find someone with some taloras that have a few years of use. Checking on a used rod will give you a better idea than a new rod.

Edited by John E Powell

John I was under the understanding that the Taloras used a Fugi reel seat the only ones I have seen damaged were from over tightening to the extreme and split the inner collar damaged yes but still usable.

Not all Fuji OEM seats are designed to provide the same duty levels. Fuji has no control what a Mfg does with their seats. For instance, if a company buys their light duty OEM seat appropriate for walleye rods and installs them on rod needing a med/heavy duty like a salmon trolling rod, then the company is guilty of using a cheap seat, even if it has the Fuji name on it.

In my response, I was replying to your experience. As a consumer you shouldn't feel good about you're experience, but for some reason you do seem to feel this is acceptable. Shimano could spend about a dollar more per seat at their OEM pricing and give you something that would hold up better, but they don't.

There's also the consideration of how well the seat is installed. Light duty seats can be pressed to serve medium duty applications if the underlying materials, adhesives, preparation are well done. On the other hand, even the best seats won't hold up well over time if corners are cut during the install. A poor install will allow a seat to flex and eventually lead to one of a variety of failures (like the splits you mentioned) or a seat that comes loose and spins around the rod part or all the way.

Edited by John E Powell

Seems we wandered away from my question.

There was a problem with the OLDER Shimano downrigger reel seats not fitting the Daiwa line counter reels snugly.  The reel would still rock back & forth when fully tightened.

Is there anyone with Shimano Talora rods with the Daiwa line counter reels mounted to them?

Or should I start popping the popcorn? popcorn-eating-emoticon.gif

I have 3 talora rods one with an old Diawa non line counter on it one with a Catalina and one with a Coldwater. They all seem to seat fine with out being over tight and have not noticed any play. Used for one season only though

Patriot, if you go back to my first reply, second paragraph, I answered your initial question that most every reel we use, including the Daiwa, uses similar sized and shaped feet. So, as the last poster noted, they will hold them all about the same. Most people are fine with how they hold. You may or may not be happy with how they fit. You stated you noticed a problem so that's why I later suggested you try them for yourself instead of relying upon people who are likely to report they haven't experienced any problems.

I agree with John that quality seats won't disappoint, but from personal experience we've run old and new Daiwa reels on our Talora rods and there's been no twist, loosening or wobbliness. 

Just received an email from Shimano

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

I have yet to hear of any issue regarding our Talora rods doing this w/ a Daiwa line counter so you should not have a problem what so ever.

Regards,

Matthew Sharabi

Web Customer Support

(877)577-0600

fish.shimano.com

Just received an email from Shimano

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

I have yet to hear of any issue regarding our Talora rods doing this w/ a Daiwa line counter so you should not have a problem what so ever.

Regards,

Matthew Sharabi

Web Customer Support

(877)577-0600

fish.shimano.com

How could this be?

I read here they use junk reel seats on the Talora.