torpedo speed n temp cable

Did anyone ever have a problem with the stainless steel antenna cable "twisting" on your scotty rigger? The kind of twist similar to mono twisting from not using a swivel. I have used it since it was introduced with no issues, then last year it happened twice. I know someone else who it also happened to with a cannon rigger.

Anyone?

Do you mean the coated cable? Or the 6-12 inches of the actual antenna that is mounted to the downrigger. If it is the downrigger cable I would replace the snap swivel on the termination to the probe.

Sorry did not notice torpedo was thinking my depth raider. Had bad downrigger cable snapswivels before cause a twist

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by dawg

Torpedo cable is like coated cable but is stainless sheath with copper core eliminating the plastic coated cable.

You don't have to worry about the plastic getting chafed or Sun rotted then the cable not working.

Sent from my thinking chair...

pete,

nope still wondering how and why it happened. First season was fine no problems at all. nothing changed...same pound and same weight on the rigger, same blacks release etc.. nothing changed. Noticed a slight twist at the end of a trip, had a few viscous rips off that rigger so jut figured maybe the last salmon grabbed the lure from the side and maybe spun the rigger ball a little or something....didn't put alot of thought into it. I unspun the couple twist, checked the cable and figured all good.....well very next morning setting up the probe was reading funny so i pulled up the rigger and found a twister mess. cut about 30' of cable off retied and finished the day running the rigger without a lure just probe. Pulled the rigger at end of the trip and guess what twisted mess again.

No clue what caused this.

anyone know if the wire is twisted around the copper core or braided? If is twisted and you use a ball style weight it might be trying to unravel itself.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Downrigger balls in all forms rarely spin but move in a "watch-wind" motion. Given there are two metals in the cable twisting back and forth over time, their dissimilar properties are probably changing at different rates over time.  Just a guess.

I used the Torpedo cable with a manual Cannon rigger last season with no problem.  I use a fish shaped rigger weight at 14 pounds.  I will make sure to watch for twists this year.

You and me both.  I have been running it for 3 seasons this will be my 4th and never had an issue.  I have never lost a weight (knock on wood) using and have been running 16lbs. torpedos.

Cause the torpedo wire is junk...2 probes and 3 sharks broke before I got smart.  Bad twists...

Walker peddled that same cable for years it was questionable then and still is now . Edited by bigblue

So I spoke to Matt @ Torpedo and he was receptive to my concerns about the cable. He checked with a few pro staffers and confirmed there was at least one confirmation on the twisting.

One staffer believed it was the lack of a quality bb swivel above the probe, which may spin in current or on retrieval or decent. Just passing along the info. At the very least Matt stood by his product, and demonstrated excellent customer service, and will continue to try to correct any issues with his cable.