Auto Pilot Recommendation for 18ft Crestliner Aluminum V with 115hp non hydraulic steering

Netbender

Was hoping for some feedback on an AP Unit. I troll with my Merc 115 down at 1100 rpms, 1-3 knots in the Finger Lakes. Cable driving steering only. I fish alone the majority of the time. Any thoughts on which units to check out? I am currently utilizing my Minn Kota GPS to get the lines and down riggers set, but this is not the optimum set up.

Thanks, Dave

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looks like a nice unit, good luck with it. I am currently running a Furuno, would need to get a new HDS unit to interface and control the cable driving AP. Was hoping not to do that, but may need to. Let me know how yours works in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

Also just put in a Lowrance system.  Haven't tried it on the water yet but install was fairly simple but again you need HDS unit and the cable steer version is quite expensive compared to hydraulic.  As far as I can tell it is the cheapest AP on the market though and comes with a Point 1 GPS as well as NMEA network gear so the actually AP portion of it ends up being only about $600-700 for the NAC-1 computer and hydraulic pump.

Raymarine Evo-100, ran like a charm, pressed the auto button, locked in, laughed it was so freaking awesome.  Just make sure what ever model you end up getting check to make sure it has the most updated software, mine didn't when I got it, sent it back to get it done for free, little pain in the butt, but learned the hard way, Raymarine you need a separate system / unit to down load the software.  Do your math, Raymarine is 1100.00 if you have hydraulic, if you don't, add 600.00 for steering.  If you go with Lowrance for cable steer, you need an HDS unit to run it, if you don't, add that cost to it.  In the end youll find its about the same cost as your other options. 

Raymarine unit can be networked with any gps unit that has NEMA 2000 output as well.  So if you have a gps/FF that has nmea output you wouldn't need to upgrade your electronics.  Plus Raymarines tech support is top notch being able to repair units vs pro-rating them.

Chas, what I did find out with the NEMA 2000, still struggle with the understanding but my Elite 7 which does have the output NEMA 2000 cant be tied to the system network to be able to route the AP.  At least after talking to Lowrance, they said I had to upgrade.  So im not sure what I would get with it tied to the system other than it reading a heading?