Pro-Am Rules

I'm with you to Jeff on the Lake Trout rule last year. All Pro-Ams we fished we didn't get one laker. Glad its gone! Funny thing is today we were out and got 3! Just wanted to get all teams on the same page as far as the rules go. Didn't mean to hurt any feelings but wanted to express my opinion.To bobs_boy, just to let you know, we started out as a 3 man team fishing off a 19' Starcraft. Some tourneys fun others (Oswego) not so fun. Our team goal is not to make money its to win the Am Division and go from there! Jeff let me know about parking your boat, plenty of room! Good luck to all and rember Niagara is having a money raffle $2500 first prize!

Dave

There are 2 ways to look at this. Either all the teams in AM division have a say in the rules or none of them. To say there was a kinda meeting after the Sodus weight in on Saturday should not sway the rule committe. There what 3 or 4 tournaments up and down Ontario and not all teams fish all the tournaments. If your gonna be fair and you want input from each division you notify each team and have a vote over the internet. But me personally I think you leave the rules up to the committee and go out and fish hard but have fun in the process. I applaud the committees who have put this together and I think it is a good time for everyone. I am looking forward in meeting more teams this year a listen to all the stories and experiences. Fish safe have fun and take a kid fishing.

I would like to know how many boats the two man teams added to the Am's? Plus I understand that this year the pay back is going to be 15 places. Last year at the Oak there were only 18 am boats I beleive. So this is going to lower the payback for the top teams and make the AM's think twice about fishing all 4 events witch will hurt the teams fishing for the cup. Are we still having the scoring the same as last year or going to the old way? Mybe we should have a second Am class for the small boats so they can enter at a lower cost and no observer. I understand they are thinking this way in other states.

DEL

P.S. Thank you everyone for your hard work.

Why don't you guys just come out and say it? Dave and Noj from Team Screamer are being singled out here and made whipping boys. Has anyone ever inquired as to what their sponsorship from A-Tom-Mik includes? I doubt very much Tom paid for all the down-riggers or arsenal of rods. My guess would be some t-shirts and maybe a couple flies. Dave and Noj are fierce competitors who love to fish and work their butts off to win, and they are good at what they do. There are other AM boats out there with just as much gear or more and bigger boats and deeper pockets. When you get right down to it these guys are weekenders from Pa who bust thier butts to make it to the lake every weekend for a day and a half of water time. Sorry to vent here folks but I am tired of a few singling these boys out without having the fortitude to come right out with thier names. If you have the guts to criticize and complain then have the dignity to at least ackknowledge the successful fisherman you have chosen to single out, we all know who you are talking about anyway...

I am sorry to vent openly like this but I could not stand to continue to watch this abuse without making a comment. I am not calling anyone a bad person on here just pointing out the plain hard facts.

I don't know why the rules were changed last year any way. I did not see a increase in boats because of them. I liked the 9 fish limit because it leaveled the playing field boat trouble or bad luck one day and you could still make a come back. I also would like to say that the name on the boat or it's size dosen't matter if the rules are the same you just got out fished.

DEL

Cowman, I don't think ANYONE is "being singled out and made whipping boys here". In fact, I think its just the opposite. Dave and Team Screamer, Del and Team Liquid Plumber and several others are top notch competitors who have done extremely well in the tournaments because of their SKILL and DEDICATION and they would do just as well if they entered the Pro Division. They bring a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and integrity to the events and the tournaments are better because of them. If you've been around long enough you might remember Pete Lahosky and Team Prime Time who dominated the AM Division for YEARS before moving up to the Pro Division and dominating THERE for years as well.

The initial point I was trying to make to Dave (Highway) was that the Tournament Committees have tried to listen to requests from competitors about rule changes they would like to see and lots of them have been implemented. But, ultimately, the committees have to do what is best for the events themselves. In this case, rule changes were made to make the "Top Five" more accessable to the "little guy" that had to go head to head with the "juggernaut" of Screamer, Liquid Plumber, Wizard, Official Business etc. The rule change to 6 fish allowed the little guy to at least "feel" competitive. While the 6 fish limit does keep one team from "blowing everyone else out of the water" it certainly does nothing to keep the top team from winning as we have all seen the past two years. I'm sure you'll agree that this rule change was much better than simply "forcing" those top AM teams to fish Pro when they didn't want to---which is what was suggested many times.

Finally, I would like to formally apologize to Dave and Team Screamer, Del and Team Liquid Plumber and any other top AM contender that may have been offended by my earlier inferences. My intent was not to criticize or diminish their successes but rather to demonstrate the reasons for some rule changes. I purposely never mentioned any team by name---you guys did that--because I did not want to offend anyone or imply anthing other than what I was trying to say. And that is that sometimes Committees have to do what is best for the events and the majority of the competitors not just what a select few "top" competitors would like.

For what its worth, guys, the Pro Division has had similar changes over the years as committees tried to keep it fair and competitive for EVERYONE---you just didn't get to read about it here.

Now, let's get ready for a GREAT Tournament Series!

See ya on the water!

Paul

Paul,

You did not learn much from on here this time last year. :?:

Hey why not point out that their are part-time weekender PRO teams also LIKE TEAM REBEL :!: As for the money end of the pro-ams I would estimate only 3-4 pro boats turn ANY profit for any tourn. It really comes down to who loses the least amount of money :$ Keep up the work Paul and I will run into you on the practice days :lol:

Jerry

REBEL

Definition of Ametuer - Fisherman less experienced than his partner, normally a team used in a Pro/Am style tournament, also describes angler who does not earn a living fishing, does not have Captain appearing before their name, also does not except gratuities or equipment when participating in a competition.

I also would like to say that the name on the boat or it's size dosen't matter if the rules are the same you just got out fished.

DEL

C'mon now... they don't cancel the tournament for 3-4' waves, but no way I'm taking my boat out in them. Meanwhile, someone in a 25' is trolling right along. Also, the advantages to having a wide beam is there as well, tough to put more than 2 or 3 riggers on my boat....

I'm personally very happy with the changes and if I can get the time off work this year I plan to hopefully fish the Sodus Pro Am and look forward to getting outfished :)

Nick

Nick my boat is 20ft. 4in. with a 8ft beam and has a very shallow draft. I have 4 riggers on it. It is powerd buy a 135 outboard and a9.9 kicker. Most of the time I only run 3 riggers and more junk off boards and dipsey's. I don't allway's run the max rods and yes a larger boat handles rough water better but then their are times when a smaller boat can turn and stay on the fish better. I enjoy going out and catching more than a biger boat and don't feel handicaped with mine. The reason's you stated is why on some other lakes they have added a 23ft or smaller class This class is optional and cost less to enter and they will call you off the lake faster if it starts to blow up. I feel this would be a better way of doing things than resticting the whole AM class, The way it is now if you set down on a bunch of small fish you could have your 6 fish before you could find larger fish. On the point of fishing pro i don't have the room to fish with 5 pepole.

DEL

Del,

I think a 23' and under class would be awesome... I'm just not sure there's enough "little guys" out there to make it happen? I guess when you get good enough, you get worried about the problem of catching 6 small fish.... I can only wish that I get good enough one day to worry about the size of the fish I catch as opposed to being worried I won't even catch 6 fish :shock:

Nick

The best tourny would have no rules. Leave the dock with 0 fish come back with no more than legal limit. Fish w/in the laws of our state, if you go to Canada, make sure you abide by their rules.

Have observers if you want, although why?

Fished a scotty tourny several years back, very few rules, would have been fun if I had caught a fish. :$

CC