can I have a reliable dock and boat lift installed on lake ontario

Just bought a second home on Lake Ontario right on the shore near Kendall NY.

The neighbors I talked to say it can't be done successfully to have a dock.The waves or the Ice will destroy it in no time.

I just bought a premier 22' Pontoon boat and the Dealers say you have to have the higher dock and 84" lift for the pontoon boat and it will work.

Same for the dock.

Who is right.

I don't see any docks looking to the left or right of my house.

thanks for any help.

Just sold my 36' boat and thinking of getting a fishing canoe or Kayak for myself for those private times when I want to fish alone.

the only way to even try a launch on Lake Ontario is to install a rail system and be able to pull the boat up and away from the possibility of 12'-15' waves. No thats not a joke. I've seen NW rollers break over the walls @ the Oak, Genesee, and Sodus. Over towards Oswego they get many storms that build bigger. 

Can your boat hoist lift the pontoon boat 14' off the water............ probably why there's no docks east or west of you

the only way to even try a launch on Lake Ontario is to install a rail system and be able to pull the boat up and away from the possibility of 12'-15' waves. No thats not a joke. I've seen NW rollers break over the walls @ the Oak, Genesee, and Sodus. Over towards Oswego they get many storms that build bigger. 

Can your boat hoist lift the pontoon boat 14' off the water............ probably why there's no docks east or west of you

OK thanks-there is a marina about ten houses from me.

I think it is eagle creek so I will get a slip there.

Dfg4240

These guys are totally right. Back in the 60's and 70's there used to be houses along the shoreline that are no longer there (some of which ended up in the lake itself) because of the power of the waves and wind and related erosion.  At one time when I was a kid there were some docks on the Lake O southern shore in places and they are long gone along with the cement bases that held them. Lake Ontario is truly a force to be reckoned with in winter. The ice can twist up steel girders like pretzels...

OK I went down the lake towards sea breeze and there are some docks but they are the kind you take in during the winter and the hoists are something I don't know about. One is a friend of my wife and

they never had a problem as they take them in during the winter.

The hoist looks high-If i get more info will help.How the heck do you anchor them and then take them out in the winter.

I am talking about the hoist.

david

This really seems like a no-brainer to me. If Eagle Harbor is ten doors down, a slip is the way to go. Why would you risk storms, low water, damage to your prop, and maybe not even be able to access the boat under certain conditions? The cost of a dock system would likely outweigh the cost of a slip, to no real advantage that I can see. I'm sure it can be done, if you had unlimited $$$. I'm less certain of the advantages and it might get seriously bad. IMHO

Edited by Gator

thanks.

I know it sounds crazy but you have to drive there and my road ends on private property and you have to drive around on a big rectangle just to get there.

Hey it is not the money. I paid $5000 a yr at Shumway marina for my 36' boat that I just sold.

$2700 for the slip in the spring and then about $1700 for storage inside during the winter.

Add another $1000 for winterizing. Thats year after year. Plus it held 300 gallons of gas-twin 440's

OUCH!

They have the best location-right at the mouth of the Genesee.

As far as the dock-I mean a vertical lift ---- I checked on it and there is a company who does it and says 80" lifts are the only  way to go on Lake ontario.

Before people had the 46"or whatever and the lake tore them up eventually.

They have no problems with an 80" lift. These people have been installing these for awhile and have never had a problem. I have to take the lift down in the winter because the Ice would twist it into a pretzel I am told.

The price of this lift is around $6000 and I have to put it together.

Anyway-I found my answer and have to think about what everybody says.

I have seen this lake when it is rough. Three people who have a business installing DOCKS say they want no part of lake ontario. They all gave me this companies name.

thank you for your advice.

My next quest is to buy a fishing Kayak. I have the pontoon boat for my family outings but I also like to cruise and search for hot spots by myself.

Thanks again and good fishing.

Another consideration is the fact that if/when (can be often) you are dealing with a north, NW or NE wind you may be able to get out of the lift but not back in (without maybe damaging the boat)

I just bought an (Basspro) Ascend128T for purely fishing reasons and it is a bit cumbersome but you can get a dolley designed for the scupper holes and I got it for the seat.  It can be raised higher and and has the lumbar support that I need.  I was also told by the kid who was about 6inches shorter than me that he could stand on it easily without stabilizers, but I got those too.  I love small craft fishing.  And a lot of the places I like to fish you can not trailer a boat to.  I am going to register it and put a trolling motor on it.  Rained Sunday and Monday and I left it out to see where the leaks will be.  I will be removing screws, adding silicone and putting them back in.  Hope to have it ready soon. 

You can buy better yaks and cheaper ones too, however, ease of use was a necessity for me.  Some  people like the speed or the ability to lift it up on a little eco car.  I have a truck and I wanted comfort while I am on the water so a larger more stable yak was a better fit for me.  Good luck on your quest.  Best advice I got was that you buy a kayak for the seat. 

Joe

Yes I had a Wenonah Backwater canoe . It was beautiful and wide (41") center and extremely stable.

I started with an electric trolling motor and then put a 2.5 suzuki four stroke on it.

quite a fishing machine but the motor straight in the back bothered my back.

Also even if you put an electric trolling motor on it in NY state-you have to register it as a power boat and they will spot you right away if you don't have a sticker on the boat and you are using a motor.

Where did out freedoms go. Cost me $60 to register it as a power boat.

David

Lake Ontario has some freaky currents that move the bottom of the lake, especially near shore.  The waves probably won't do the damage but the lake bottom definitely will.  The foundation, pilings etc will move.  Just look at Port Bay outlet.  It's all stones for 1/2 mile in every direction, yet every year the channel get plugged up & has to be dug out.  After a storm many places will have a good size sandbar across them...next storm it'll be gone.  Most people think the Great lakes are calm bodies of water but the waves are very steep compared to the ocean and this makes them very powerful when they break on the shoreline.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

OK I give up.

no docks or lifts.

Now I have to concentrate on what fishing kayak I want.

thanks

I talked to some neighbors who had or know people who had docks and lifts.

All say eventually the Lake takes them so I will not be stupid and enjoy the lake carefully.

david

I love fishing from my kayak. When a friend of mine wants to buy a kayak for fishing, I tell them this: spend a couple of hundo on a roto-molded boat and see how much you use it before plunging into the "fishing kayak" market. Some of those kayaks can cost thousands. I fish out of a Wilderness System Pungo (not cheap, but not outrageous even new) and it's all I need for the Finger Lakes and Mendon Ponds. My point is that I've seen some really nice boats that don't get much use, and kayak fishing isn't for everyone. If you're already experienced and just looking for that perfect ride, enjoy! There're some really nice fishing kayaks being made these days.