Another copper question

I said I wasn't going to cross the line but I did.

Got a Daiwa Seagate60 loaded with #45 400' copper. I know there's many variables but about how deep can I expect this stuff go? Be nice to know about how deep it's running

That runs approx 22' per 100' of copper. A lot of variables, speed, what you put behind it, etc. but figure close to area. Welcome to the dark side. Lol.

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OR get yourself a Fish Hawk TD and run your setups with it and it will give a little better approximation than the chart data and will give you temp data as well to work with.

Edited by Sk8man

OR get yourself a Fish Hawk TD and run your setups with it and it will give a little better approximation than the chart data and will give you temp data as well to work with.

That works Les! Just be sure to run the copper out at speeds up to 2 times faster than you normally troll and deploy slowly. Then settle speed to 2.5 mph after all out and let the copper stabilize and GO STRAIGHT. then reel it in quickly without hesitation. Read the TD before it shuts down.

Here's an important copper tip.....

Don't concern yourself with how deep it's running. Put it out and let it work. If you plan on running a 400 copper in 100 fow and decide to do an "inside" turn into 60 THEN concern yourself with how deep it's running. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think Paul hit the nail on the head here and it is applicable to many other situations too. Often we trout and salmon fishermen get very concerned to the point of obsession with the "magic depth" and think that we have to get the lure right exactly in the face of the fish. All you have to do is look at a screen on the depth finder while jigging for lakers to see that they haul butt to get a lure on the move and will come right out of the depths to do it.  Probably the more important factors in getting them to hit are having the right action and speed and having a lure that appears "vulnerable"... yes it may be important to have a lure in the "ballpark" but the whole EXACT depth thing for the most part is over-rated.

I just viewed tips & tricks on the Bloodrun site and exactly, this happened to me. I had a birdnest like crazy

When retrieving copper from the water without a fish, or with a small fish, press down on the copper onto the foregrip of your fishing rod which applies pressure to the copper as you pack on the last 30-50 feet.   Freewheeling copper back onto a reel without tension will cause backlash and tangles on the next deployment.

Also think of Copper as a downrigger when it comes to leader length of mono.  Isn't that right Paul!  I suggested this tidbit to Paul quite a few years ago as he was ready to throw it all in the lake.  It is not Leadcore!!!!!  Typically 8 to 20 ft,  I start short and go longer if it isn't producing.

Also think of Copper as a downrigger when it comes to leader length of mono.  Isn't that right Paul!  I suggested this tidbit to Paul quite a few years ago as he was ready to throw it all in the lake.  It is not Leadcore!!!!!  Typically 8 to 20 ft,  I start short and go longer if it isn't producing.

Good point Brian

The bird nest effect is reduced also by leaving your clicker on when starting the first 30 to 50 feet out. There is just not enough water drag on the line in the beginning.Then free spool clicker off with your thumb on the spool and stopping occasionally to keep the copper from going too vertical and running into bottom. You might get a fish on the way out and you want some thumb controlled drag for that. It's wire and it curls anytime it has little tension on it, even if tight on the spool.

Mark

Mark your copper every 100 feet with fluorescent hi vis paint. That way you can run out 100 foot segments to reach the approximations of 22 44 66 or 88 feet with that rod and reel.

Skipper, do you do this only down the chute? You're not clipping the copper line straight onto a board, are you?

Right, in the chute. On occasion I will run a shorter segment off the outriggers with a roller release, but I have had one copper break doing that. I think it was too rough on the water and the outriggers whip up and down a lot causing a lot of line slap. I think it got a kink there. I now only run those long coppers off the outriggers on short segments on calmer days. In the chute though, it works for a shorter copper just letting out the desired length on the paint markings.

Also think of Copper as a downrigger when it comes to leader length of mono. Isn't that right Paul! I suggested this tidbit to Paul quite a few years ago as he was ready to throw it all in the lake. It is not Leadcore!!!!! Typically 8 to 20 ft, I start short and go longer if it isn't producing.

And I still remember and appreciate that info you gave me in Sodus Brian. One of the best copper tips I ever got!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United