Yankee's Report 5/17-5/20 Wilson-Olcott

5/17 - Another fun filled day on Lake Ontario. We got a lat start around 7am and dropped our lines. Only 6 rods today so we went with 2 riggers, 3 wires, and a 400' copper. It wasn't long till the action started. We took are first rip on the 400' copper that was towing a White on White SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow fly. Fought it for 5 minutes. Set her back out and the rigger fires with a hog wild. that takes a 10lb king. Lost another on the hog wild after we put it back down and the 400' copper goes again. This time its ripping line out. Same SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK set-up. We land it and its a nice 16-17lb Salmon. Rest of the morning we took a few smaller Salmon on various spoons and flasher fly combos. One fly combo was a black Spinny with a Hammer fly. We ran another NK spoon thatwe had custom painted and it took a few shots. I'll see if I can get a picture of it this weekend. Anyway I will be out here till Tuesday doing some fishing, so keep an eye out for reports.

100_0621.jpg

5/18 - Another typical day on the water out of Wilson! Fish were plentiful and willing to play with us today. With just two guys chartering us today we kept them VERY busy boating over 15 fish. The highlight fish today were both 19lb King Salmon. One took a White SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow fly down 150. The other took a Mulatto NK28 down 100. We were surprised when we pulled in about a 15lb Lake Trout that took the always popular White on White Spin Doctor pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly on the wire. Again our new prototype NK28 was firing all morning long on the 100' rigger. Here is a picture of it:

100_0632.jpg

This same lure also took some fish off on the high wire diver using the Mag size. Since its my spoon I'm gonna name it! So, when I talk about the "Sea Sick Waddler" this is the spoon! Other combo's that fired were the Black/Crush Glow SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly, and on the 400' copper a fish fell victim to the White SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow fly. There are a lot of 8-12lb fish in the area so working for half a dozen BIG bites is what your job is right now. They are there you just have to be patient. I was taking my bigger fish down deep and a buddy of mine took one down 40, so there is no set program. Go out.......put some good colors down........and hold on!

SalmonFishingRayMeyersCrazyYanke-3.jpg

5/19 - Two words - BLOWN OFF! Yeah, it really blew this morning. So, I went to work. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for a report on how fishing is after the big West blow.

5/20 - Got out on the water around 5:30 and had lines set by 6am. Today was a weird day. The fish weren't hitting very good, and when they did it was tough to keep them on. It amazes me when a fish hits a fly with a tandem hook set-up and can just drop the lure as if it never had it in its mouth. Our first rip was on the wire with a White on white SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hammer Fly. Next good rip was on the other wire with a Black SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hammer Fly. In the mean time we took some Coho's on various spoons. Dreamweaver SS Slurpee on the 3 color leadcore rod, Sea sick waddler took only one today, and a Mulatto NK28 took one. We took 2 shots on the high wire pulling an NK28 Area 51, which is a new color I have been pulling for them. We lost two nice Salmon on the 400 copper which had a white on white SmartFish and an A-TOM-MIK Ultra Glow Green Fly. We finished the day 10 for 16 and the customers kept 7 fish for the grill. Our two big guys weighed in at 17.5 pounds and 18.10 pounds. Both victim to flies. Our last big guy of the day took 2 out of the 3 Area 51's I had when he hit the corner downrigger and went under the low dipsey diver. When it comes to monofilament vs. wire line the wire is always going to win, and it did again today. Here were the two big guys we managed to box.

100_0635.jpg

"SILVER CROC" WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE , approaite.......

Actually, I agree, that would be a good name! If you don't name it that, I might have to make you a spoon when I'm up there this weekend and call it the silver croc :) Hmmmm... actually I think you like the blue crocs though, maybe an entire croc spoon line....

Nick

Shade - Reeljerks beat me to the punch. A-TOM-MIK carries those Smartfish. They are realy cool. I wouldnt ditch the Spinny's and Chips, but start adding these to your arsenal. You can adjust the rotation of the flasher. I have been using the 12 o'clock and the 2 o'clock settings, but I am starting to experiment with other settings. I was running a 3 o'clock setting on the copper this weekend and it was taking shots.

As for the silver croc.......nah! Stigner made a similar spoon with a white base coat and an orange dot. They called it thier penguin. I had Billy V paint me up a few last year and we called them waddlers. I wanted a green dot, but when NK made them for me he made a few with a superglow base coat, and its been HOT.

Ray - When you think up a color scheme and it fires you can name your own spoon! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: