Dashboard connector issue

dukhnter8

Anybody have any advice for tightening up the 8 pin connector with female and male ends that goes to the dashboard? I have a 01 StarCraft superfisherman that the dash board (gas gauge, dash lights, and volt meter) do not work unless you pull/wiggle the wires. It's getting annoying as I like to see how much gas I have. I have tried dielectric grease, pinching the connectors and trying to pry the pins wider but nothing seems to work.

Thanks

If you've checked both ends of the connections (for corrosion etc.) it sounds as though you have a wire that is separated.... possibly the ground wire. It would seem that either it needs to be cut and rewired to a new connector or a whole new wire with connectors needs to be purchased.

They should just be standard automotive or electrical connectors. Male and female ends. Home Depot / Lowe's / or any automotive store should carry them. I agree though it sounds like a ground issue. I would start there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Found a computer repair place that would solder it, they got it done in less than a day and hooked it back up. It seems to be working fine now, jiggled the wires and no issues as of yet. We'll see how it works this weekend after trailering and wave activity. But definitely seemed like the pins moving was the issue.

The bad part was that it didn't work last weekend when we were camping and fishing in the 1000 islands and now I see the gas gauge is bouncing on E. I didn't realize it was that low and am glad I didn't go out more while up there without getting gas.

• 1 month later...

Check the main Ground from dash to Battery, for that matter just replace it. Tell you the truth, it it were my boat, I'd check all wires and connector right down the line, including ignition wired at switch. Sometimes it's just better to replace than troubleshoot. Clean all batt terminals and solenoid connectors too. I have done a lot of re-wiring of boat electrical, I crimp and solder every connector.