Ibay pike

Went out fishing today and was throwing the handy size 5 mepps at my favorite pike spot when I watch a huge pike come out and slam it... I fight it up to the boat and my dad and I get it in the net... It was about 17 pounds! by far the biggest ive ever caught! but of course, it was to long for our net and before we could get a pic it wriggled its way out of the net... Still makes a good story!

True,but lots of esox are going to be hooked/caught by people targeting other species who don't have big nets,big pliers,or hook cutters. That's never going to change. Some info on fish handling should come with your license.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fishing for big predator fish requires a large coated net. That could have easily injured the fish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We do have a large net, not coated though and we are going to buy one as soon as we get money... The problem is that we are bass fisherman (Yes I catch a large amount of bass with a size 5 mepps)

You should never put a pike in any net. I've caught hundreds up to 4' and never netted one. They'll roll right up along the boat when they are ready and you can carefully pick them up under the chin. Just have to make sure to keep your hands away from the gills and rakers or you'll bleed.

When you say tandem do you mean the double bladed ones? If so, I have never gotten those to spin correctly! Like 1 in 5 casts they seem to work right

a lot of double bladed inlines don't work right. You may need to bend the clevis to make sure they are at right angles to the main wire. That helps. Once the main wire gets bent up cut it up for parts.

a lot of double bladed inlines don't work right. You may need to bend the clevis to make sure they are at right angles to the main wire. That helps. Once the main wire gets bent up cut it up for parts.

What brand do you use? Ive only tried blue fox

Does your net have a scale built into it?

Its called ive been fishing for a while and caught large pike before... This one was between 15 and 20 pounds... So no, my net doesn't have a net its called a rough estimate

I like Mepps giant killers for pike. Black and orange has worked well for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

mepps musky marabou in black and white with nickel blade will catch a bunch of pike. But they don't last long;the hair gets ripped out after a few fish and they get bent up. Ghost tails are good but come with whimpy hooks that get straightened out at the worst times. Double 8 rabid squirrels in brown/yellow with nickel and gold blades get bit a lot and hold up well. Fire tiger and border collie super girls are good too if you're in good enough shape to use them. I can't catch squat on tinsel blade baits.