Rod placement with Downriggers and Dipsy's

tj13825

I currently have 36" traxstech tracks on each side of the boat located as rearward as I can. I have a DR and 2 Berts ratcheting rod holders per side (the DR has one rod holder also).The DR is located all the way to the rear most position with the first rod holder placed in the middle and the next at the far end of the track (basically 0/18/36). The DRs I run to the side not off the back to avoid cable/kicker motor damage and spread my lines out. I typically run two lines (stacker) on each DR and one dipsy on each side. I would like to run two dipsy's on each side but am concerned about the distance between the rod holders and the length of my DR arms. I would like to add dual rod holders to the DR and utilize the middle ratcheting rod holder for another dipsy one set at 1.5 and one at 3.

I have 42" arms on the DR (ran off of the side)

I have 10 1/2' DD rods I run in the far end of the 36" track now (no problems with tangles when running at 1.5 on DD)

I would like to buy another pair of DD rods to run in the middle positions of the track but do not know if I should be looking at 7', 7.5', 8', 8.5', 9', 9.5' rods.

My thoughs are if I have the DR off the side 42" and the current 10.5' off the side 126" then a 7' or 84" rod would be right in the middle but I don't want the diver tangling with the rigger cable, after the rod flexes I know it will be closer to the cable.

Anyone running a set up similar (DD rod holder 18" from DR and 18" from second DD rod holder) that could tell me what two length rods you are running?

Thanks

Terry

Well I have a very simar setup because I have twin outboards. I don't run my riggers stacked cause I usually have a cheater line out but I do however run 2 DD's and either a copper or leadcore off each side as well. As for my Dipseys I run a 10'6 on a 3 setting and then my 9' Dipsey is run at a 1-1.5. I always put out 10'6 first on the 3 so it's furthest away from the boat them my 1 setting goes out next so I dives and doesn't get caught under the other rod and my riggers are usually 45* off my corners to not straight out sides. Hope this helps

A 9' rod will give you enough tip separation between your diver rods and keep your inside diver line away from your rigger cable

especially when you're turning or fighting currents.

You may want to elevate your 10'6" rod a little higher than the inside rod so that the tips don't contact each other on a hard hit.

Sea IV setup sounds very much like my setup but the longest rod I have is 8 1/2 ft and so far I haven't gotten in trouble with that setup (and I also run a 250 or 300 copper down the chute). Just don't take any radical turns especially while setting up :lol: .

Sea IV I will try running the downriggers at 45 degrees a few times and see how that works.

Mudflat Thanks I was thinking 9 or 9 1/2 due to the bend in the rod with the diver. Great advice about lifting the rear rod, I did not think of that.

Sk8man thanks for confirming the set up as well, I dont run anything down the chute as I dont have enough extra rod holders to move it to when fiting a fish. If your longest DD rod is 8 1/2 what is your other size?

Jimski2 My track and DR have been in position all season and are in ideal locations for set up and operation now thanks.

Also just confirming that a downrigger off the side (90 or 45 degrees) and two dipsy diver rods on a 36" track is what you guys are running when you say you run a similar set up.

Terry

To answer your last comment this is my setup on my boat. For my DD's and you can see my rigger, when I am fishing it's at a 45 usually cause the same reason as I don't want my wire drifting into my motors

post-155451-0-28966100-1442318449_thumb.jpg

My wire rods are 6 1/2 ft roller rods with roller on first eye as well, 7 ft Ugly Sticks and other 8 1/2 rods for downriggers (depending on what I'm doing), 8 1/2 rods for the in-boards, 8 1/2 ft roller tip for chute copper (roller not essential for copper but comes in easier). Sometimes I run the in-lines out of holders in the front of the boat. I have 18 rod holders so a lot of options :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks guys I got out tonight out of Ibay and headed down to Hedges had no problems running the divers out like you said. Now if I could only find some fish. I stayed in shallow because some of my buddies have put a few salmon and browns up off of the local piers but I only marked a few fish and didnt see much bait either.

Heading out tomorrow night after work and heading west toward the Genny. Is it too early to be in shallow in the evening? What depth should I be targeting? I would like to pick up some kings, browns or steelies. 

Thanks

Terry