Fly and meathead leader length

Do you guys run the same leader length between your spin docs and paddles for flies and meat rigs? Looking to pick up a few paddles for this year and was just curious about leader length.

many variables to this question but basically no our leader length between flies and paddles are from 24 to 35 inches depending on weather conditions and mood of the fish.  For meat we like to run 48 inches if we are using a rig with twinkies.  If we are running just a clean head and meat behind a paddle we will stretch that out to 60 inches.  This is basically our starting point for our meat program and we will adjust from there    Good luck i hope this helps 

No. Generally it's a shorter leader for flies and longer for meat heads.

Reason is flies do not impose any action on their own, so you rely on the SD to create the action.  Whereas, meat heads spin (about 1 to 2 turns per second is optimal).

Some guys use as short as 48" to meatheads and others 72". 

For a fly, a good rule is 3x the lenght of the flasher, so an 11" paddle would get a 33" leader, and a 8" paddle around a 24" leader.  I typically run mine around 32".

Edited by TyeeTanic

Yes 8 inch spinnys will be a good starting point. We run them with twinkies and use clean meat heads behind echip paddles. Don't try to over think it just start with the basics and you will learn to dial it in from there.

These are our go to meat rigs and paddles that we start with just about every time that we run a meat program. If these don't take fish we will try changing colors or that's when we will go to the bigger paddles.

post-152176-14600701816607_thumb.jpg