Slow for sure, but then again that has been the pattern for opening weekend in the Eastern basin. Guys are getting them, but not in big numbers yet. I have been out three times, and taken just one each outing. I am marking a ton of big fish, some bait and seeing a lot of bait on the surface, but just sluggish loafers for fish.

Guffins,

You say  "usual pattern" and no big numbers "yet". Historically, what can I expect over the next few weeks? Fished it w/Kevin yesterday with no takers. Keep hitting the same areas we did or look elsewhere? 

I am sure others will chime in, but my experience the last three years has been cold weather, cold water, unsettled weather patterns(fronts and fluctuating pressures) leading to a slow bite in early May. Late May and June have been better for me, as well as others I have talked to. There are always guys that are the exception and they boat more 'eyes than anyone, anyway. To be honest, I am quite surprised to see Kevin Legg reports not moving a rod. While I don't know him personally, I do know his reports are usually just the opposite. At first, i thought it was a joke. While I am certainly far from a walleye whisperer, the only advice I can give you, is the same thing I keep telling myself when it is slow; keep moving, look for bait, and fish more;). My Achilles heel is fishing the same spots that produced before, and banging my head there hoping. With that said, I think the bays are holding a lot of fish right now, they are just loafing, and hitting out of instinct. The last two fish I had on, one we lost and the other was just barely hooked in the lip, as if it just nibbled curiously and got hooked. I still think the usual spots in the bays are going to heat up, just in time. Keep moving, look for bait and fish more. If only it were that easy. I am sure others will chime in, hopefully.

Granted it was our first time there but I know how to catch Walleye and we trolled in likely spots and depths. We did see a few fish and bait but not as much as I would have expected. I'm not giving up on this bay.

Thanks for your replies guys

Father in law managed a couple so far another 8 lbs fish last night a 9 lbs. fish the night before. He had 4 on last night and only boated the 1, fish are big but not in the numbers. Like mentioned above they are hitting out of instinct not from hunger or aggression. Once that surface temp gets up there another 5 degrees they will turn on a little. These last couple days will help but it is supposed to cool back down so the fish will stay in the bay longer to be picked off but I doubt it will be the high catch rates we are used too at least until the water warms up.

Some of my best days were the 2nd week of June when the waters were cold late into May. Right tight against the cat tails in the Black River Bay.