Track systems & dipsey rod holders?

Hi all,

Just wondering the preferred track system for downrigger positioning as well as for rod holders?

Also, was told I should go with ratcheting rod holders for the dipsey rods....true?

Best brands for tracks and rod holders? Berts, Cannon or Traxtech? Likes vs Dis-likes of each?

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

LTtroller

(Bob)

LT;

I have been running Traxtech tracks (since 2011) with Traxtech ratcheting diver rod holders (since 2014), & they work very well.   Frequently run 20 Lb Shark downrigger weights on my out & down riggers with zero problems.  Just be sure you use appropriate backer plates under the tracks, stainless bolts & nylock nuts properly torqued.

Good luck!

John

Edited by Iceman

I just put a set of Berts with the tracs on my boat really like them a lot they work very well and very well made but then I saw a set of Cannon rod holders a friend put on his boat and to be honest I liked them better, one thing that really caught me was the 360 swivel that mine do not do check them both out before you decide.

Ford...:Chevy...you get it. We have all three makes and they all work fine. Ratcheting helps. Your need for a backing plate will depend upon your boat, but can't hurt. I would advice staying away from the style where the rod butt protrudes into the boat. PITA. 

Berts can be rotated in the track. That's why there are grooves. Just line the set screws up with the outside grooves.

Berts as well as Cannon Single axis, can be adjusted so many degrees. But nothing like the Traxtech or Cannon double axis. That are 360. The single axis are little more cumbersome, but should work for 99% of your circumstances. It weather you want to spent the extra $.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run Traxstech tracks with Cisco rod holders. I have my Cannon riggers mounted to Traxstech swivel bases. It makes it nice for quickly removing them from the track. I have a mix of every brand and have tried everything. I do like the Traxstech track and Cisco rod holders the best. I try to buy everything used. You can save up to 50% that way. But it requires patience to wait for the right deal.

Thanks for the replies folks. Think I'm going with 2 cannon tracks w/2 cannon dual axis ratcheting rod holders. Then 1 berts track w/swivel base for my 2nd downrigger, boat came w/1 berts track and base so I guess i'll match that existing setup on the other side.

Good fishing all!

LTtroller

(Bob)

I just mounted 2  4 ft traxs, 1 3 ft trax and 2 2 ft traxs with 8 rod holders and 4 cradle dypsy holders on my Trojan all from Cisco..could not be more happy the product!! great company to deal with as well. i had berts on my last boat and had very good luck with those as well but, these are VERY well crafted and rugged.

http://imgur.com/0rQQjLb

Edited by madsierra

I run Cisco track and rod holders. Workmanship and quality are outstanding. Come with set screws on the end so no need to buy an end cap. All corners and edges radiused and their customer service is excellent. One friend runs Bert's tracks and another runs Traxstech and they are both very good too. Can't go wrong with any of them.

As far as dipsey rod holders I have the Cisco cradle style Dipsey rod holders and they can be a pain with the butt sticking into the boat. I will be updating to the Canon ratcheting rid holders for my Dipseys. A buddy has them and I like the you can grab them and ratchet them up with one hand to make it easier to get the rod out. Hope this helps good luck.