Cayuga Lake - North End (mainly) - Report and Seeking Brown or Bow Advice

Hi Guys,

Last weekend we made the 4 hour trip to Cayuga from the Hudson Valley. We camped at Cayuga Lake State Park and used the launch there. It was a bit of a run to the cold water fishing grounds from there, but the campsite was cheap and the launch easily accessible from camp.

Our plan was to get some fish for the smoker and learn new techniques for finger lakes trout and salmon. This was my second time to Cayuga. The fishing was AWESOME. We did 77 fish for the three days, primarly on the north end of the lake near Aurora for Lakers and then the west shore between Deans and Taughannock Point for silvers, bows and browns. 

We figured out the lakers pretty quickly. They were easy pickins. For the lakers we fished the bottom (no fishhawk to find temp) near aurora starting in 70 f.o.w. at sunrise and gradually moving out to 100 f.o.w. as the sun rose in the sky. There were a lot of consistant marks on the bottom there saturday, sunday and monday. 

The program that worked so well up there were gambler rigs and hammerhead bells in green monster, green silver and anything green. We ran these very close to the bottom, 3-4 feet above teh bottom and bouncing them into the sediment every few minutes or when we saw some good marks on the screen. We ran 3 of those setups and on the 4th rigger ran a clean spoon. Spoons that produced fish were a yellow red dots large evil-eye, Stingers in Green Glow Alwife and Gin~n~Tonic, and Producers in chartreuse with green ladder. We caught many fish in the 8-10 pound class and kept a few smaller for the smoker. 

After we got our laker limit we switched our program to silvers, bows and browns. We did well on the 12-22" landlocks using stinger spoons, colors varried and speedy shiners in purple/silver and rainbow trout patterns. Those fish came on riggers 40-50 feet down and cheaters on those riggers. 4 of the landlocks had lampreys attached. 

Fleas were pretty terrible on the north end, Aurora was TERRIBLE, got progressively better the further south we headed. 

We are headed back up this weekend, this time staying at Meyer's Park. Id really like to improve my Rainbow and Brown trout program. I feel that we have the salmon and lakers covered. Id like to ask for some of the folks that have that program dialed in to for suggestions on how to target them and get more consistent catches. My major downfall is my lack of a fishhawk, but have tackle and other electronics covered. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Cheers 

Bobby 

Edited by CatskillBob

For rainbows keep speed between 2.5-3.2 and keep bumping it up and down and keep riggers between 40-60 ft down and make east to west trolls may not slam them but you will catch a few. Good combos that work for me are white or blue paddles with a good silver or blue spoon trailing it (distance can vary from 18-36inches) also always do well on silver and or blue spoons ran by themselves. (I dont have temp either but if you keep playing you'll find a few)

Bows and Browns this time of year require two different programs. Your big browns will be in where the T-Cline meets the bottom probably around 60ft down. Bows are suspended out mid lake over bait or just under it in 56 deg water. I got a few spots where I can pound them this time of year. If you are fishing deep for Lakers say 120 down park your Laker rigs there and run a fixed slider with a good Bow spoon at 60. Then put your other riggers at the T Cline with spoons back at least 60ft. 250 copper 12 color core will do it to but you will kill them in this warm water reeling them in. Sean

I want to thank you guys, Suttontroller, hoookedup and 58J for your great advice and tactics to try. 

My buddy bailed last minute so its looking like a solo trip, and based on the weather a breezy one on saturday. 

Going to give it a go!

And, Ontherise, I'm not one to follow instructions well :lol: . I feel that these forums are a great way to share our success and get others excited about fishing. The larger the fishing community is the better it is for all of us! Strength in numbers.

I am one of those guys who lives 4+ hours from the fingerlakes and Ontario so reading reports on here makes me gain the motivation to get in the truck and take a long drive for some excellent fishing. 

Thanks for all who participate in writing reports and sharing success. Its quite a community you guys have established on here.

Ontherise, I'm a ball buster too, I sensed the sarcasm. I really can't say enough how awesome it is to get reports from 4 hours away. It really helps pass the time at work too  :rofl:

Where I am from, Hudson River Stripers are king and guys get all bent if you share successful tactics and locations, I say the more the merrier!