After a few years of frustration on Oneida lake, I purchased a little bit bigger boat in hopes of fishing on and around Lake Ontario.  I now have an 18 ft. Lund with a 115 hp (still small by much of your standards).  Not having the equipment to fish deep, out into the lake, and without giving up your honey-holes, where should I be starting out?

Lmao. U traded years of frustration on Onieda for years of frustration on Ontario. Kidding aside . Welcome and best of luck . I've caught a ton of walleye drifting a worm harness over pancake shoal .

Edited by chinook35

My advise would be to start out inexpensive. Get yourself some line counter rod/reel setups & some dipsey divers. Maybe some yellowbird planers or leadcore line setup. Then you can work your way up to downriggers & planer boards w/masts. And if you find out you don't care for bigger water fishing you can still use most of that equipment on Oneida.

My advise would be to start out inexpensive. Get yourself some line counter rod/reel setups & some dipsey divers. Maybe some yellowbird planers or leadcore line setup. Then you can work your way up to downriggers & planer boards w/masts. And if you find out you don't care for bigger water fishing you can still use most of that equipment on Oneida.

Well said

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You may want to hire a guide, save yourself some real frustration!  It would be money well spent, and you would be able to see first hand what it takes to be successful on the big pond.  Good luck and welcome. :yes:  

Thanks for the insight.  I don't have any deep water equipment (down riggers, lead core) as of yet.  Also I don't have a kicker and can only slow to about 3 mph with the 115.  Most of my walleye fishing has been drifting with bottom bouncers.

Buckets dragged with holes in bottom can do wonders at slowing an 18 footer. This is a very expensive game so it's really all about your goals . A charter is huge in the learning curve.

However this is a good year to start as most are having success. Leadcore is helpful but personally if I were in your position, I would be leaning towards a wire dipsey setup or two and you could then be fishing as deep as you need to be. Dipsey setups take a large share of the big salmon on Lady O. Just my $.02.

Another option is jigging for Lakers which you are prepared for right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depends what you are targeting. If you want salmon dipsey's are the way to go to get started on the cheap. You can deploy 3 on each side and pretty much get the depth columns you need to be in.

Don't waste time or money on braid. Get wire setups in long run u will be happier.