Thousand island Smallies

Fish Bandit

I have noticed the smallmouth fishing the last few years has been tough in the summer months so I usually troll for northerns with good success. When fishing for smallies I like to cast a senko worm crazy style by putting a o ring around the worm near the center and putting a circle hook through the o ring a #4 circle hook works good. I like to cast this style worm near any island where the drop off is rocky and I just swim it back in a jigging motion I would do this from 5 to 30' of water. I also have drifted in the 20 to 30' areas over weed beds with chartruse green worm harnes. I hope that helps these ideas have worked in the past sometimes good sometimes not so good. I will be up there from 07/26 to 08/01 in the clayton area I could give you a few more specific spots for that area so let me know where you will be fishing.

we will be up there the same time so just look for the green trophy we will be out on canoe island state park and will try to remeber to have the radio on any good channels? maybe we will hear from ya good luck great fishing :)

Is that Canoe picnic point state park on the north east corner of grindstone island? If it is I am usually trolling for N pike along the eastern side of Grindstone there is a nice ditch threw there that can be productive I also like to hit the picton channel almost everday. I will be in a cottage just south of big round island on the other side of the channel on the main shore. I have a 18' trophy I go by the name freedom and should be monitoring channels 9,16,68,72 give me a call. You are just south of the canadian fence so be careful I usually see a lot of coast gaurd activity there since 9-11. If you use bait up there make sure you run a bottom sinker when drifting and keep that bait at least 3' up the line or the gobies will clean you off real quick. Good Luck and give me a yell when you are up there. By the way for pike if you go the 1000 island bait store and get some 4 oz trolling sinkers and run some NK mags behind them you should do well on pike in 18 to 30' of water I find blk&white,blk&siver, Blk&gold and green NBK work pretty good most of the time.

I'll be up there camping out of Wellesley Island State Park for the 6th year in a row. My best fishing spots up there are the rift (be damn sure you know where that border is and hug the south shore to be sure), the Narrows thru Murray Island, Picton Channel, and the hole between big gull and little gull islands in Eel Bay. Top water in the near dark hours along weed lines is awesome for Rock Bass and Smallies. Drifting minnows about 8" off the bottom works well in the 18-24' range too.

Can you tell I'm excited to go? We'll be in a 15ft. white aluminum Lowe, or a 20' tan walk-around SeaRay with dark brown canvas named High Times.

Get some crayfish and you'll be all set. Drift them along gravel and rocky bottoms. Also fish early and late in the day. The traffic waves can make things exciting if you don't already know this. You'll be sure to have some luck.