Humminbird help

Humminbird help

So I buy this boat a couple of years ago with great electronics on it .  998 and 958 Humminbird, with a Minnkota Terrova and Ipilot.  I have most of it down as far as how to use everything after trial and error over the past couple of years.  But I know I don't have it all down.  I was wondering if there is anyone in the Rochester area that either works on Humminbirds or has a vast working knowledge that I could hook up and pick their brain and to make sure I doing things right.  Thanks in advance

I guess right now my biggest question is if I have them hooked up right.  I know the 998 is but both units are supposed to be linked together.  When I go to settings to pick which transducers the units are receiving from it shows 958 bow and 998 helm.  Do both units need to be set to 998 helms transducers.  Because if the 958 isn't than I don't get nav charts and waypoints only depth.  If they should be set to read from their own ie the 958 is set to 958bow and the 998 is set to 998helm then I have a problem with the 958 somewhere.  I hate to sound like a moron but this stuff is way to over my head at this point in my life.

I think you may have answered your own question.  

Does the 958 have stand alone GPS nav charts ?

If not then when you don't tie into the 998 you would lose them....... seem like if you tied the 998 to the 958 bow it would also lose them.

I can help with this. We call the units you have the "core" series, which was replaced with HELIX.They are great units! If they are "linked" as you stated (technical term is networked) there should be an Ethernet cable between the two units. With the Core series you can't share maps like Navionics and Lakemaster between the two units. However, you can share waypoints. 

If you want to bring the boat down to the Genesee River boat launch I'd be happy to go through them with you, and fix any networking issues you're seeing.