kicker motor size

dstephe

A couple things come to mind to consider before the issue of HP.  The type and specific placement of the bracket it will sit on will be important and this will relate also to the shaft length of the kicker (e.g. long vs. extra long 20 inch vs. about 25 inch usually).  The 8 Hp should push the boat OK in normal conditions but it could be pretty marginal if real rough out there and would really be working hard on the engine .

Edited by Sk8man

I'm running a Yamaha T9.9 on my Penn Yan 255 Intruder and it gets the job done most of the time but I also have a TR-1 Gold Auto Pilot on it and I think it helps the kicker by being so quick to react.  There are times when the wind, waves and/or currents are too strong for the kicker to maintain boat control and speed, usually in 4 footer type conditions.  I can then either head in (usually my wife's choice) or run with the waves/current.  I can also drop in a couple trolling bags, start up the main at an idle and use the kicker with the TR-1 to steer and fine tune my speed.  This actually works quite well with the bags also helping to smooth out the ride a little.

I thought about going with a larger kicker but the "high thrust" model makes the 8-9.9 hp kickers work ok and because it is so light weight it doesn't affect the boat's handling.  I have used mine to get back in when my main motor had problems, I felt like a blow boater going 4-5 mph but it was better than a tow.  Mine is a 25" shaft mounted on an Adventure Marine solid bracket, I think a 20" shaft would work as long as you mounted it low enough so the prop stayed in the water.

IMG_0042.thumb.JPG.226ba83d005f367d27f43af735e536cb.JPG

5 hours ago, vetting said:

So how often does a fish get tangled up into the kicker?  

I've never had that happen, yet.  I don't see where it would be any different than any other I/O or OB boat?  It's up to the rod man not to bring in the fish too green so he can control it while being netted.

Actually with the currents we deal with on Lake Ontario I'm more concerned about the possibility of the rigger cable getting tangled in the kicker prop, that's why I put a prop guard on.

It was crazy last year on Lake Michigan with the warm top water and cold water only 20 feet down.  We had multiple kings that seem ready to net and then they would just take off - even had a few pass the boat up last year :)

1 hour ago, Jeremy Goodison said:

Never had a fish get wrapped up but have had a downrigger cable sucked into the prop of my kicker.
Also have had the kicker get me in when I blew an outdrive.
9.9 pro kicker on Trophy 2359

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea I'll second the blown out drive while the kicker saved the day!! Wasn't fun at the time, but I can talk about jokingly today. :lol: