Boat problem

Ok so my boat died on Sunday and finally got a break in rain to work on it. Took off distributor cap to clean points come to find out looks like it has electronic ignition(magnet and pickup coil). I could see under the plate that the pickup is mounted on that a spring was laying under it called Marina who told me how to get under plate. Come to find out a screw came loose under that plate and destroyed the parts in there. So that brings me to what to do. What to replace it with ect. So I'll take any advise you guys have. Are those parts under there replaceable ? If not what should I replace it with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

go to MarineEngine.com look up parts for a 3.0L GM 181 I / L 4 Distributor it will give you a break down . i think that is what you have if not get the number of the distributor and look that up 

Whoooooooo don't just pull that distributed out you need to crank it to the proper point you must know what you are doing replacing a dis. It must point proper on combustion stroke. Get a marine machanic on this one 

Lol...i haven't pulled it yet...local guys can't get at it till June no way. I've rebuilt a lot of motors but dis are before my time lol. As far as the little research I have seen is TDC to replace then sent timing (buddies dad has done a lot of timing with distributors just not on boat) it can't be that hard is it

Put a mark on the distributor housing where the rotor points to. Note which way the rotor turns as you remove it. Mark where it points to after pulling it. As long as you don't turn the motor over while the distributor is out you'll be fine putting it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pull the #1 plug in the firing order out, hold your thumb over the hole then have someone turn the motor over till it blows your thumb off, look at the valves, if there both closed your close to top dead center, the you can either make something with a curv on it and move the crank one way then the other till you have the Piston at the exact top. Then take the cap off and the rotor should be pointing at the # 1 piston. Both valves are closed, the pull the distributer out, if your going to repair it mark the base of the distributer and the block, either with punch marks or a paint pen. After repair or replacement make sure the rotor is pointed towards the #1 cylinder. It's very easy to be 1 tooth off either ahead or behind, but your rotor will not be directly pointed at the #1 cylinder, and it can be a S.O.B. To get it right, other times they drop right in. Anyway that's how I do it. Maybe someone else that does it for a living has a better way? I hope your distributer isn't like mine, I can't pull mine straight up it hits tha transome board and I can't cut a spot out for it as my dog house won't cover the part I need to cut out.:@

Edited by pap

No mine's right out in open thankfully...i will have to try and get to tdc. Then mark too try and make it as painless as possible. I've timed many 4 stroke dirtbikes and a truck before but this will be first distributor and boat

1 minute ago, stoneam2006 said:

Can I put motor in gear and use prop to spin motor back and forth to tweak into position?

I use the bolt tha holds the harmonic balancer to the crank that way it's more precise. Use 1/2" breaker bar or 1/2" long handle ratchet 

What year is the boat ? Mercruiser used several different ignition systems . Delco EST was used in 91-92   If you have an older delco system (points) , it may have been updated with an aftermarket electronic ignition . You have to identify the system you have before you can buy parts 

3 hours ago, chinook35 said:

What year is the boat ? Mercruiser used several different ignition systems . Delco EST was used in 91-92   If you have an older delco system (points) , it may have been updated with an aftermarket electronic ignition . You have to identify the system you have before you can buy parts 

Picture says a thousand words if your not sure what your working with.