Waterspout - Webster

I witnessed 4 waterspouts out of Oswego on Friday the 8th. 2 were fully developed as in the link. I was out about 4 miles between Oswego and Alcan and the spouts seemed to be a mile farther out. Far too close for me. The cloud seemed fairly stationary which really surprised me. My wife and I decided it best to pull lines at our liesure rather that under duress. We ran into Wrights for lunch.

It was ironic, I had just told my wife that morning about the waterspouts of the previous week. I said I had never witnessed a tornado or a waterspout and hoped to go to my grave saying that. 2 hours later, I witnessed 4 of them only a mile away from us.

OK, let's see if this works: "I've never caught a 40# salmon and hope to go to my grave saying that". Heh, It's worth a try!

One started to develop west of the Oak on Sunday but dissipated before it actually touched down. On the back of the USA Today news section on Monday it had a tid bit info snippet on waterspouts. I believe it stated the base winds could reach 50-100 M.P.H. and their forward progress is usually around 11-20. I have a friend who fishes Lake Erie on a regular basis. 2 years ago they witnessed 16 in one day. He has a photo that is most impressive. It shows a spout, then a freighter then another spout behind the freighter as well. He said that on that particular day, they had a spout touch down within 200 yards of their boat.