new guy needs help...

Hi guys, I need LOTS of help...I am taking my stepson out of Mexico state launch, and I think he pretty much set on seeing his first Lake O Salmon....

I hope I can hook one for him....

My question is, what is the best way for someone that has little experience?? I have 2 small downriggers, with 10 lb weights. I have some J-plugs and some spoons, and a few flashers and flys. I have 4 trolling rods, and a few dipsys that I have no idea how to use. I was thinking of keeping it simple by running a spoons on the DR and maybe a plug off the dipsy strait back at 0 setting?????

Also, are spoons used behind a flasher, or just flies behind the flashers??

What do you think??

Thanks for any help, (and be easy on the new guy with stupid questions!!)

Mike 8)

Mike take a few minutes and read the back posts on those subjects and you'll find everything you need to to catch a good one. Next you will need to put some time in on the water to get it all working . You know your going to ruin that poor kid life if you get that salmon. Well good luck and good fishing.

Hey Mike, typically flies are run behind the dodger or flasher.

I would run spoons or j-plugs off the d/riggers & use your dipseys for flies. I would set them at #2 and run one off each side. Make sure they are set to run away from the boat & not toward the boat. The usual way the guys set their dipsey rigs is to set them up with 1000' of 30# Malin stainless wire with a good swivel on the end. Attach the dipsey with a snubber on the end, then a 5-6' leader to your dodger or flasher, then 23" to the fly. If you're running mono, then a snubber is not really necessary, just keep your drags loose. Be advised that you will have a dickens of a time trying to get the dipsey to release when you go to change lures. The mono stretches quite a bit vs wire which has no stretch. The hot colors around the Mexico Bay area seem to be green/green, white/white, or white/aqua.

Good luck & I hope your son and you both land a good one. Please take the time and gives us a report on how you did in the "South Shore Reports" section when you get back. ;)

id run 11" pro trolls on the bottem of each rigger one green and one white , than stack ur lucky spoons 10ft and 20ft above them , the dipsy"s i would have mt dew spin doctor and a white spin doctor on the other all of them with mixed green fly"s and if it just the two of you skip the spoon and run the fly"s stop into any of the shops and get your self a atomic hammer fly or two of them deadly up there ! do you have down temp and speed ? if not call out on the radio maybe some one will let you now today the 42 degree water was only down 35ft so long leads we bee needed ! good luck

I live by this motto; It is better to just run 1 thing correctly than to have 1 thing run incorrectly. If your new don't over do it. Spoons are the easiest things to run because most of them are speed forgiving. Put one 15 feet behing your down rigger and drop it down 5 feet. Watch it swim. It should have good back and forth action and not roll in a circle. Adjust your speed if you have too. Now drop your rigger to fishing depth if it looks good. Do the same with your second rigger puting 10 to 15 feet higher or lower than the other. If you get comfortable with that add free sliders. Make sure they don't tangle. If you have not used flashers and flys wait until you have more experience with running spoons. Once you get the hang of them then you might want to start using flashers.

Good luck

Mike:

I sent you a PM. Drop down the the black border below the thread and click on "Private Messages"

I'm always interested in helping a kid tie into his or her first king salmon (I'm assuming you are not 75 and your step son 55 :lol: )