massbass

steelie and brown tips

13 posts in this topic

steelie and brown tips

going up this weekend to oak. i fish mostly beads and will have a few egg flies this weekend, but what are other good baits to use when they arent feeding on eggs?
im sure they will be since the salmon run is ending, and there will be plenty of eggs in the river

Black mini-foo 1/16 oz. tipped with a wax worm.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Always cover the tip of the hook itself with a waxie or other etc. as it prevents the fish from seeing the hook and orients or focuses them specifically to the bait as well as reducing the hard feel of the hook while "mouthing"

wow!!! had no idea they could see the hook. im a bass fishermen!!

so even bead fishing they can see the hook and not bite? so i should tip a waxie when bead fishing to

32 minutes ago, massbass said:

wow!!! had no idea they could see the hook. im a bass fishermen!!

so even bead fishing they can see the hook and not bite? so i should tip a waxie when bead fishing to

Ehhh I dont buy it

Ehhh I dont buy it

I didn’t either but my dad always tipped his with a wax worm and would catch 3 to my 1. I’m now a believer and we’re pretty even by the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wouldn't want anything covering the tip of my hook.. the point of bear fishing is because the fish is pointed up stream if they bite the bead and spit it the current blows the hook right into their mouth... I want that point 100% able to catch a fish's mouth that spits my bead

Edited by bandrus1

Not sure about how many "bears" would be caught that way :lol: but what I'm refering to is when watching fish in clear water bump or mouth the bait without actually ingesting it (such as sucking it in directly) they sometimes appear to be "testing" the bait and when the hook point is bare and they feel it they spit it. I've seen it with both browns and rainbows in the streams. When ice fishing perch will do it very frequently

Edited by Sk8man