Question about state limits?

Fishnut

If you are fishing the New York, Pennsylvania, Canadian border and you have a license for all 3 can you catch your limit in Pa then go catch your limit in NY and again in Canada??

I was having a discussion with a friend and he told me you could as long as you took the fish off the boat before you fished the other state.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No, because if you come back to same launch after each trip and put your catch in your vehicle on the same day. depending on the states regulations you will be over the limit and could possibly face fines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That’s what I thought. But he’s sure it’s legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

"General take and possession

• A person may not fish for a species (even if immediately released) during the closed season for that species on a given water. Fish caught during the closed season must be unhooked and released immediately. They may not be handled for any other purpose.
  • A person may not have in possession, or intentionally kill or injure fish other than the sizes specified and allowed for that species on a given water.
  • A person may not possess, kill or unnecessarily injure fish in excess of the daily limit for that species.
  • Any fish an angler catches and immediately releases uninjured will not be counted as part of the daily limit for that species.
  • A person may continue to fish for a species while in possession of a daily limit for that species provided all fish of that species subsequently caught are immediately returned to the water. See below for special provisions made for largemouth and smallmouth bass.
  • A single, uninjured largemouth bass or smallmouth bass that an angler is landing, measuring or in the process of releasing from a recirculating or aerated livewell, is not considered to be part of the daily limit.
  • Any snakehead caught while angling cannot be released back into the water. They must be immediately euthanized and reported to DEC.

Transportation

Transportation of fish is permitted as follows:

Fish caught in New York State

• No more than two days’ legal take of nonsalable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are frozen, processed and packaged for storage.
  • Smelt, suckers, alewives, and blueback herring taken by dip nets or angling, and suckers taken by spearing, may be transported overland by motorized vehicle for consumption purposes only. Once those species are transported away from the water body, they may not be transported back to any water body for use as bait.
  • Salable fish may be transported in any number.
  • Baitfish transportation regulations.

Fish caught outside of New York State

Fish caught outside of NY may be transported into New York in any manner, except parcel post, in the number that may be legally exported from the place of taking. "

The fish in your cooler in your truck that you brought in from Ontario or wherever else are in your possession, but likely not processed and frozen, when you go back out to catch your NY fish.  The Encon officer doesn't know, or care, where you caught them, because the regulation says "possess".  You might make the argument if you return home and process and freeze each limit, but just because you took them off the boat and stored them in your vehicle does not mean you are not in possession of them.  And if you launch from NYS to leave and catch the fish elsewhere, you might get flack on your return if Encon observed you with a limit prior to your out of state fish.

• Like 1