Lowrance 3G radar overlay on HDS gps

chowder

I'm somewhat confused about whether or not a separate  NMEA 0183  'heading sensor' is required in order for the Lowrance 3G radar to overlay onto a Lowrance HDS GPS display map.Some have told me yes and others no. Any experts out there?

I'm no electronic expert so I had to learn the hard way, you need a heading sensor connected to a HDS to overlay radar on your chart.  HDS unit have both NMEA 0183 and NMEA2000 networking.  I would look at getting a Point 1  antennae which has a heading sensor built in and hook it up to a nmea 2000 network.  This would probably improve your GPS at the same time and is also the least expensive heading sensor.  I used a Simrad RC42 heading sensor before Lowrance came out with the Point 1 and it wasn't cheap but having the overlay makes your radar much easier to interpert and saves screen space on your HDS.  I'm sure Hank can help you out with setting this up. If you want to see one in action I'll be slipped at Arney's sometime around mid April.

• Like 1

Thanks mudflat,I like to understand this technology for myself, fortunately Hank will be in charge of the actual show.Interestingly, the guys at Anchor couldn't answer this question definitively though I strongly suspected you had to have a heading sensor.

The radar omes with cables but you will need the Point-1: 000-11047

NK 2000 starter kit: 000-012469-69 comes with power cable (2ft), N2K cable (15ft), 2x network terminators,2x T-connectors

You need 1 extra T-connector part#: 000-0119-79. Depends on the location you may need  longer cable.

The radar comes with the scanner connection cable (33ft) and the adapter cable: Ethernet yellow 5 pin male to RJ-45 female (6.5ft)

With all due respect, it seems to me that if I'm in fog or darkness and the radar shows a potential collision situation on the screen I am going to stop what ever else I'm paying attention to and dedicate myself to that situation. That being the case, as a part time fisherman and guy who just spent too much $ on a new to me boat, I don't think I'm going to spring for a MARPA, capable radar setup. At the risk of sounding like someone who knows more than they do( which is certainly not me cause I will admit I don't know sh#*t) I think it's possible that sea sense, caution and a prudent awareness of one's limitations might be the best tools we have to avoid bad things happening in our boat.

2 hours ago, chowder said:

With all due respect, it seems to me that if I'm in fog or darkness and the radar shows a potential collision situation on the screen I am going to stop what ever else I'm paying attention to and dedicate myself to that situation. That being the case, as a part time fisherman and guy who just spent too much $ on a new to me boat, I don't think I'm going to spring for a MARPA, capable radar setup. At the risk of sounding like someone who knows more than they do( which is certainly not me cause I will admit I don't know sh#*t) I think it's possible that sea sense, caution and a prudent awareness of one's limitations might be the best tools we have to avoid bad things happening in our boat.

Sounds like common sense gained from a lifetime of working with a barn full of females, much lacking in today's world