Advice on the Wind

baytech05

I am thinking of coming up Friday and Saturday to fish the lake but the wind forecast for Friday has me concerned. I am only in a 16.5 footer and will be fishing out of Oswego, Mexico, or the Salmon River (still undecided). As of 9am this morning NOAA is calling for SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET. If I am out in 60 to 100ft are the waves really going to build that quickly with the wind coming off the shore? I know my limitations when the wind is east, west, north or anything in-between but I can’t judge it out of the south.

Your thoughts?

Baytech

as long as you know ur limits you should be fine , turn ur radio too ch 16 for updated report things do change quickly on the big pond .weather report could change in a day or 2 also ! good luck hope you can get out up there !

Baytech:

When I ran a smaller boat, I always has a plan B in case of blow-off days. This kept me from tempting fate. My plan B was to tow the boat to Seneca and troll for lakers. Always had great laker action. My last time on Seneca resulted in 17 lakers in 3 hours.

Guys. good point about the back up plan. When I had the smaller boat, we would in fact troll Oak Orchard on a blow off day,at this time of year. As a matter of fact, under the random tips page on the attheOak site, I listed as such. The secret to river trolling is a SLOW presentation. 2 riggers set app. 4-6 feet down and 2 flat lines. One can actually troll the Oak from the break wall on up thru the bridges on ward towards the dam until it starts to shallow out. Another week or 2 would probably see better runs, but as the guys mentioned, there are other options in lieu of actual L.O. fishing.-Duane

Thanks for responding guys,

The Black River was my back up but I haven't heard that there is much of anything in there as of yet. I also haven't heard about much of being the Oswego River yet either so I am really leaning toward scraping the trip. I will check the weather tomorrow in the early am and make my decision.

Thanks again for all your input.

Baytech

I am thinking of coming up Friday and Saturday to fish the lake but the wind forecast for Friday has me concerned. I am only in a 16.5 footer and will be fishing out of Oswego, Mexico, or the Salmon River (still undecided). As of 9am this morning NOAA is calling for SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET. If I am out in 60 to 100ft are the waves really going to build that quickly with the wind coming off the shore? I know my limitations when the wind is east, west, north or anything in-between but I can’t judge it out of the south.

Your thoughts?

Baytech

Subsiding to 1-3 I'd go for it. You always have the whole day Sat. too.

Spike