DR cable coiling

CaptSpike

I just went to use my DR which I haven't used since my trip to NY and the first 100 ft of the cable was coiling like a pigs tail with no tension on it. What would cause that? I was running 13lb torpedo weights in NY. It almost seems like the cable twisted thus causing it to coil??????? Anyone ever have this problem? I switched it out with the cable I had from installing a speed temp unit so all is fine now. Weird first time that ever happened to me.

Spike

I've used the DR for 4 seasons (don't use torpedo's) and never had

that happen. First thing that popped into my mind was that it somehow

was rotating.....

I was thinking the same thing but at boat side they tracked ok. It was on my rigger without the probe too!

Guess I'll keep an eye on it next time I have to deploy the 13lb torpedo's (next year).

Spike

Spike, when you say DR are you saying DownRigger or Depth Raider?

If you just mean the downrigger cable was pigtailing, it probably wasn't twist, but the cable was lowered onde tension on a hard edge. The only time I've seen that was one time on my old Cannon Unitroll manuals where somehow the cable jumped off the front pully onto the center pully shaft and was lowered with a cannonball on it from that, pigtailed the crap out of the calbe to the point I ended up replacing it.

If that didn't happen, maybe you need to check the front pully on that rigger and make sure it is turning. If it is not spinning, and the cable is just sliding over it , I could see that causing that to happen as well.

Just something else to consider.

Tim

Spike, when you say DR are you saying DownRigger or Depth Raider?

If you just mean the downrigger cable was pigtailing, it probably wasn't twist, but the cable was lowered onde tension on a hard edge. The only time I've seen that was one time on my old Cannon Unitroll manuals where somehow the cable jumped off the front pully onto the center pully shaft and was lowered with a cannonball on it from that, pigtailed the crap out of the calbe to the point I ended up replacing it.

If that didn't happen, maybe you need to check the front pully on that rigger and make sure it is turning. If it is not spinning, and the cable is just sliding over it , I could see that causing that to happen as well.

Just something else to consider.

Tim

Down rigger cable.

you may have hit the nail on the head. I had two line retrievers that I made and the diameter of the pully was only like 1/2". I noticed that week I fished Ontario that my coated cable was getting areas of break thru on the coating which I figured out to be from the retrieve I had made. I use to use the retrieve on a manual rigger with no problems but now with the mag10's it comes in pretty fast and I saw the pully moing in with the line and pinning against the DR end pully. That is probably where it pulling over a hard surface occured as the wieght retrieve pullys were not really to free wheeling. I have since replaced them with the scotty's hoping not to score the coated cable anymore. I did hope to find out why the cable might have pig tailed and I think I just did.

Thanks Tbromund!

If it happens again with the new wieght retrievers I have a different problem.

Spike