Thru hull transducer

Installed a thru hull two years ago. Really don't notice any difference between the transom mounted and thru hull when trolling. I have a selector switch that I can use either one. The only diference is when under power I don't lose the bottom with the thru hull where as sometimes I did with the transom mounted.

Extra hole in the bottom is never good. My current boat came with it and I had a slow leak till  I reinstalled it. Use a reputable person and have them use 3m 5200 or even better DIY. If done right it is better than transom mounted under power. I can see pods of bait and large fish but it takes time to learn reading it.

If the thru-hull is mounted forward (closer to the bow) like on my Baha you might not be able to see your downrigger balls all the time on the fishfinder at shallower depths. It's more pronounced on 200khz than on 50khz (based on the beam width). Of course with the transom mount you can see them at all depths because you can angle the ducer back a little bit to compensate for any blowback. Personally I like the less cluttered look of not having the balls on the screen because it makes it easier to see fish when you're looking at the fishfinder while working in the back of the boat. Just something to consider before you get the holecutter out...8-]

-Steve D

I think it depends more on the model of transducer you’re using. Good thru Hull transducers can be $1000-2000. Comparing that to a transom Garmin GT51 would be night and day difference. 

My thought is if your going to put in a thru Hull then put in a badass one

Edited by jigstick