Any action from Summerville pier yet?

Hi Guys,

I'm a Rochester native who just returned from 10 years in South Florida. Now that fall is upon us, I've been getting the itch to head out to the pier and bother some salmon.

I've seen numerous reports from folks fishing the mouth of the river but I was wondering whether there was any action off the Summerville pier yet.

Also, during a quick drive up to the lake when I first got home, I noticed that the Rochester Hollow Grinder was gone. Can anyone suggest a good spot, close to the lake where I can pick up some spawn sacks and assorted gear?

Thanks,

Greg

I fished Summerville Pier every night this week except for last night from 8 pm to about 7:30 in the morning and I was skunked every night except for Teusday where I landed 3 kings and lost 2 others...Water is quite clear now as Teusday I could see my cleo coming from maybe 5 feet away fully charged and the next 2 nights I could see it coming from over 20 feet away...They are getting to good of a look at the lures and we need some colored water or dumber fish...

Other people seemed to have the same luck as I and after speaking to pretty much everyone on the piers everynight it did not seem like more than a fish or two were caught by everyone else...

If we can get colored water I expect the fishing to be better as Monday it was colored up but it was so cold their was steam coming off the river so I dont blame the fish for not biting...Teusday was perfect and the fish co-operated and the other night's the water was very clear...

Good luck if you go...

Slimy Hooks, I was the boat taking pictures of the pier on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I felt bad coming in there when I heard you were up on the pier fishing. Hope I didn't cause you too much trouble. Heard you had hooked up a few times between midnight and 1. Sounds like you put in a lot of time there this week without much success but it was a perfect night to be out there!

Just Fishin',

I cant say I remember seeing you but I am sure you were not in the way...I really dont mind waiting a minute or two for a boat to pass, and I usually average a further distance than most casters and rarely do boats trolling come in range of me...

It was Wednesday night their was a couple boats trolling and I believe they all caught fish...Was pretty cool hearing the rumble of engines, then a screaming drag followed by people scrambling around...

Teusday I think my first 2 fish were around 1-2 maybe a little later, just going by another person telling me it was 4:30 when I asked...Then from 6-7 I hooked my other 3...

Yes, I certainly have put my time in...While its a ton of fun float fishing skein with my pin and having consistent steady fishing, I find it extremely rewarding and satisfying working so hard for a few fish...Just casting into the dark with this brightly glowing lure, feeling the wiggle on the retrieve and waiting for that crunch so I can give a powerful hook set into their jaws then praying I dont get spooled is what I want and i'll give it a fair try when I can...

Thanks for the info fishinman...Maybe I do have to slow my retrieve down as I have been keeping it moving along with the water being so clear, but when the water was murky I retrieved as slow as I could to feel the cleo thump...

Might be back at it tonight and will see what happens...

carpedium,

We must have seen each other yesterday...I arrived at around 5, and I took off at around 7...The US AirWay's jacket I wear with orange reflectors stands out fairly well and I set up at the stairs heading out...

Water had a good color but it was choppy...I went back at around 1AM and their were good 3-5's breaking over the pier splashing me in the face and I gave that up after an hour...No bites but I am not surpirsed...I will try again tonight as I am liking the churned up water and hopefully it wont be as rough...

Slimy,

Yeah, i saw ya, i ditched the hoodie for a Harley-Davidson Rainjacket when it started sprinkling. I was with another guy and fished further down the pier.

I think you must have got there a little before me. I didn't end up going out this morning, but i'll probably head back tonight... we'll see. I PMed you my # is you want to hook up later.

Matt

A cleo that usually works very well for me at night are the split cleos that are half bright green and half darker green, with both sides glowing. Also when the sun is just going down i have very good luck with the silver and blue cleos but i cover the silver part with regular glow tape. hint-try the thundersticks in the fire tiger and glow in the dark fire tiger, it is what i have my best luck on when the water is stirred up, and it is overcast out