Transportation Worker ID Cards

jimski2

Get set to spend some time and money to get your ID Card that will be required to renew your Captains License from the USCG. A computer visit to set up an appointment, a visit during working hours to an office, your credit card, picture ID or passport etc. and about $132 out of your wallet. It all starts here:

http://homeport.uscg.mil

I already have mine in hand, but the deadline has been pushed back to April 2009. It really doesn't take that long to complete the paperwork, but you have to go to one of their sites to do so. You also have to go back to the site to pick up your card. Since I live in Ithaca, I had the pleasure of driving 90 minutes each way....twice. Wonderif they'll re-imburse me for my fuel costs?? I went through the Oswego office and had my card back in about 12 weeks.

I already got mine as well.

Pre-enrollment online takes 5 minutes. The time you spend in the office the first time is less than 10 minutes. My card was ready for pickup in less than a week. It takes 10 minutes to pick up the card.

With a enrollment office in Rochester the total time spent driving, and office visits for me was less than 1.5 hours. It is very minimal time IMO

If you are eligible be sure to pay the reduced rate

here is the site that you want to us http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm

Fresh news regarding the TWIC 08/18/2008

LEGISLATION WOULD EXEMPT SMALL MARINE BUSINESSES FROM TWIC REQUIREMENT

senator Norm Coleman (R-MN) on August 4 introduced the Small Marine Business and Fishing Guide Relief Act of 2008 (S. 3377) to amend title 46, United States Code, to waive the transportation security card requirement for certain small business merchant mariners, and for other purposes. S. 3377 basically would waive the transportation security card requirement for certain small business merchant mariners.

The bill, coauthored by Sens. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Susan Collins (R-ME), would protect fishing guides against additional costs and processes from excessive government regulations. The only small boat captains required to have a TWIC would be those required to submit a vessel security plan to the U.S. Coast Guard. The bill would exempt from the requirement for a TWIC merchant mariners serving on vessels the owner or operator of which is not required to submit that vessel security plan.

The bill was a cause for concern in the area as an unnecessary requirement for the charter industry. To view proposed Bill:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... is.txt.pdf. ²