Seneca Seneca Lake

Hello all my family and I will be coming up to Seneca for a week in mid July.  I am bringing my 14ft Starcraft.  Will be renting a house in the Lodi section of lake.  Been reading about jigging for lake trout.  Also have a set of down riggers.  Would it be worth while to troll leadcore too.  This flea issue has me a little worried.  I have a few Davis spinners and numerous flies and plugs and spoons. What about for warm water species is it weedy.    Is the lake ok to swim.  Are there any bait shops in area.  Thanks for time first time up that way can’t wait.  

Jeff 

Union CT 

Some would say the fishing been a little. Hard on Seneca . There is fish there, for bait , tackle brewres in ovid to the north of Lodi on main St . . Swimming I haven't heard of any algae bloom yet . There sure is alot to do in the finger lakes wineries restaurants, Finger Lakes National Forest for hiking, Watkins Glen has the caverns they have a Walmart for your shopping needs if you have time Google Cayuga lake the fishing been really good on this Lake. Enjoy your stay here in the Finger Lakes.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I live a few miles north of Lodi pt. Water temp is 70, I have been swimming for several weeks now. Weeds have not started growing in my area yet but maybe by the time you get here they will. Plenty of warm water species, trout fishing has been tough for me. Was out last week and zero fleas, but that will change soon. Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Both these guys live right  near there and are stellar fishermen so you've tapped into the right source of information:smile:. Given the current projected weather report  of 90's for the next week I would add that the thermocline should well set up by mid July and the fleas will probably be really concentrated in various places so it might be good to forget the leadcore. If you have wire setups and riggers or other deep water trolling items (e.g. wire based Seth Greens) that will be the way to go as the lakers will be out deep (try starting in 70-90 ft. and probably even the rainbows and landlocks will be down too 60-80 ft  suspended perhaps and over deeper water out toward the middle in some areas. If you don't already have 30 lb Big Game or SeaFlee main lines on your rigger rods best to rig them with it to help defend against the fleas (use fluoro leaders off it). You will probably see that the bait has dispersed and moved toward bottom out deep as well. Even some of the warm water species will probably be deeper now (e.g. smallies and perch may be in 25-60ft.). If you are after either of them try to get some softshell crabs....they can make a huge difference in results but they aren't cheap:lol: As mentioned Jan Brewer's Sport shop on Main Street in Ovid is probably your best bet for tackle and bait and she has a good selection of stuff and may be able toi give you updated information about the fishing beacuse the locals from both Cayuga and Seneca go there..

Edited by Sk8man

Fishing’s good for trolling for lakers seems like their getting more aggressive, silvers seems to be showing up but not so aggressive, spoons been working the best for both, hammerheads and gamblers close to bottom been producing, had some luck with live bait on Thursday morning with sawbellys went 4/4 with a couple lakers pushing 7lbs, throwing grass crabs and perch minnows by Sampson Should produce some bass and perch, pike love the Mepps musky killer and husky jerks

Steve didn't give himself a plug but I will:smile: Roy's Marina is on the west side of the lake toward the north end so if you get over that way they have the bait as well as some of the most effective trout tackle like the Hammerhead cowbells and Gambler rigs there. Thye can also supply you with updated info regarding the fishing at that end of the lake.

Nice going Steve. Those Great Lakes spoons  especially the Oakie dokies are laker killers  on Canandaigua and Cayuga as well as Seneca.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering how much copper to spool on my reels.  Will be up Saturday can’t wait.  

Depending on the reel size I like 3-500 this time of year, my 300 does a lot of work on a multiple of species depending on the area I fish and what I decide to pull behind it, the 400 and 500 are the brutes of the spread and mainly the laker takers good luck and tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Started at Roy’s and trolled north west side. Marked fish from 35 to 45 fow but no takers. Then fish finder started screwing up shutting off and would not read right afterwards so we topped line in 15 to 20 and caught 2 small lg mouth bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United