Tourney Fishing

All,

I am not new to fishing in general, but i am new to salmon fishing. I have an 18ft aluminum boat with a downrigger setup, etc. I am interested in doing a lot more fishing this coming season and want to get involved in some tournaments. What preparations should i be concerned with now? Is there any advise you would give someone new to the sport?

Thanks,

Matt

Best advice is ask any question no matter how silly you think they might be. Guys on here are more than willing to help. In turn share any info/ reports that you come up with. Read the posts on here, alot of great info. Plan on fishing the tournies to have a good time and meet new people. Don't fish them to get rich. Making enough to pay for your tournamnet fishing is an accomplisment within itself.

Hang out here a lot...read what's posted and strap on your learning cap. There are a lot of very talented fishermen here who are more than willing to share info regarding our great fishery. Not sure if you've played with wire dipsys, copper, leadcore, etc. yet, but those are great tools to master.

As far as the tournaments go, you're gonna want to read and understand all the rules. The Pro-Am website is a good place to start: http://www.lakeontarioproam.net/rules.html. There will be a couple of Scotty tournaments on the Soth shore this year too, so be sure to check out that website: http://www.scottytournamentseries.com/ Might be a good idea to serve as an observer on a boat or two before entering your own team just so you can get a feel for how they operate.

You're in the right place to get all of your questions answered...I don't think there's a better fishing site on the web than LOU!

Matt,

I would second all that was said above. Listen and ask and you will find most people on this site are more than willing to help out. Being an observer is a great way to get a feel for how the tournaments operate and how to run some of different setups and tackle. The tournaments are great and I would highly recommend them to anyone who is serious about fishing. They are truely alot of fun!!!

Jeff

Thanks guys

I would be more than willing to be an observer to start, that sounds like a great idea. So far i have tried to report every time i headed out but have only been a member since sept.

So much great info on here, i'm just excited to get out there and get some hands on.

Thanks kindly for your help

Like the guys said above, read this site and ask questions. I used to fish the lake in a 14' aluminum boat. The Spring LOC derby is a great small boat derby. We used to bang the shore for browns during the spring derby and do really well in the derby. You are very versitle with that boat. You could trailer it to the bar and fish kings and lakers or stay around your home port and bang the shoreline for browns. You will have to pick your days but thats all part of the fun.

I reccomend being an observer for any of the pro ams. You get to see a ton of useful thing, and ask questions, AND get paid! Also like everyone else allready said dont be afraid to ask questions because we are all here to become better fishermen and learn as much as we can. Im allready Itchin for the 2009 season!!